Author Topic: Muffler for AC-engined Aceca  (Read 5505 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Muffler for AC-engined Aceca
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:10:38 »
I'll call Ron Leonard on Monday, but in the meantime, does anyone know an interchangeable muffler for an Ace or Aceca with the AC engine? Or where for sure I can get one?

Cheers.

Peter
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 15:39:31 »
From a parts diagram, it looks like an Austin Healey 3000 muffler has the same configuration, has anyone tried to fit one of these, or have the dimensions handy so I can compare?
Peter B.

aex416

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 19:41:14 »
I have a 64 3000. Maybe I could bring it by and place on your lift?

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 20:58:54 »
Thanks Will, that could work! I'll call you next weeked or so when I get back and see what your schedule is like.

Peter
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 23:04:31 »
Just as an update for anyone following this thread. I talked to Ron Leonard today, he has no mufflers, and doesn't know of anyone that does. I discussed the AH 3000 muffler, and he says it's close, but will require modificaitons to fit the Ace/Aceca. Is there a need for a batch of mufflers for AC engined cars? Does anyone know if the Bristol versions used the same muffler (silencer)?
Peter B.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:01 »
I understand the AC Engine & the Bristol engine use the same muffler.
   I have supplied this information to Will but a company in the UK called P D Gough & Co Ltd  Nottingham England, have made all the exhaust parts for the Ace & Aceca in stainless
   Web site 'www.pdgough.com' telephone 44 115 938 2241
   Ex Factory prices are-
   Manifolds are £500
   Front Flex (2) £75
   Muffler £175
   Tailpipes (2) £100

Robin

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 18:21:04 »
Thanks Robin! Will sent me the info also. I'll check with them on cost, and may still get a Healey muffler to play with and see how it could be adapted.

Peter
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:20 »
Peter

On reading a old back issue of "AC Exchange" (Spring/Summer 1998), Ron Leonard writes in the article "Bristol Power Tips"  That a suitable Muffler that has twin inlet and twin outlet pipes can be used with both a standard and LeMans Style exhaust system. (The LeMans system exiting infront of rear wheel).

The Muffler refered to under the name "BASSANI" measured 4"x8"x12".
   Not sure if this is helpfull or simply confuses the issue.[?]

The Stainless Steel exhaust box now fitted to BEX333 was supplied by Steve Gray of Brooklands Motor Company / AC Heritage and was supplied with complete st/st system inclusive of tuned st/st manifolds. Fits like a glove and reinforced at either end to give longer life.   www.acheritage.co.uk (tel  0044 (0) 1932 828 545

The two St/St systems supplied and fitted previously by a Company in Nottingham both failed with the exhaust box (Muffler) end plate welds failing and the endplates breaking away from the system, Not the easist road side repair especially when a few hundred miles from home on a Sunday night. [:(]

Please keep us all informed of a suitable standard easily obtainable Muffler that would suffice.

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:04 »
Thanks Keith. Not sure how a 4x8x12" muffler would fit, that's not even close to the original dimensions. I'm looking into different options right now:
   - modify an AH 3000 muffler, which looks very close to the originals
   - Check with P D Gough & Co Ltd and get more info on if their muffler is a direct replacement
   - check with someone here in the US about getting one made up using he original as a pattern

If I needed to replace the complete system it would actually be easier, as then I could be sure the entire system would go together properly. Since I only need to replace the silencer at this time, I've got to make sure that whatever I get is a straight bolt-on replacement. I'll report back as I get more info!

Thanks for the help as always.

Peter
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 20:55:16 »
For anyone interested, I have successfully fitted a stock AH3000 muffler as a replacement unit. The biggest differences are the spacing of the 2 outlet pipes, and the overall length.If anyone needs to do the same thing and needs any details or pictures, feel free to contact me. Big cost savings, as a standard AH3000 silencer runs about $90 US, and a custom one would be 3-4 times that much plus shipping.

And it may be my imagination (or maybe my old muffler was the culprit), but the car has an even better, meaner sound now!

Happy Holidays all!

Peter B.
Peter B.

bill griffiths

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 03:35:01 »
Does any one have the dimensions of the original muffler for an Ace Bristol?
   There is adequate width available for a two in two out 2 inch muffler which has inlet and outlet at about 3.7 inch centres,
   but height is the problem. Maximum to avoid gravel rash is about 3.6 inches.
   Could probably have one made to those dimensions.
   Presently have a pair of tapered mufflers but they do not muffle much. Something just a little quieter would be cheaper than an overdrive!
   Regards,
   Bill
   BE 233