Author Topic: Modified 1956 AC Ace 289 4-Speed on BAT  (Read 2394 times)

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Modified 1956 AC Ace 289 4-Speed on BAT
« on: June 16, 2021, 17:37:10 »
Anyone following this on BAT?  Not my car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1956-ac-ace/

Vincent998

• View Profile
Re: Modified 1956 AC Ace 289 4-Speed on BAT
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 20:28:34 »
Yes. Seems nice, but not too much Ace left underneath.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 01:44:09 »
It sold for $250,000.00!  Are you kidding me?  I bet the winning bidder did not consult one person that had knowledge of AC Ace's and what a true in period Cobra conversion even means.  He will never see that money again.  That is just straight out insane.  They are buying these cars with zero kneowledge of what makes them valuable.  It just boggles my mind.  This was a $120,000.00 car on a good day.  No history.  Can't confirm the build date.  Obviously highly modified.  I am just gobsmacked that someone would throw away that kind of money.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 06:21:28 »
Seems to be AEX198. I have some old pictures showing the car in red but already converted. The conversion is quite bad especially the complete re-construction of the front and rear axle. It looks like a cheap kit-car in that area: Jaguar axle in the rear.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 09:38:08 »
Really! What is the problem, someone with too much money wants to own a AC Ace/Cobra. What is it with values, a car is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. If the new owner is happy let him be. I am sure the seller was happy. ;D

Someone thought that the work done to this car improved it or suited them, I have no problem with modifying a car to ones own taste. It may be more a bit more , dare I say it 'Kit Car' but nothing wrong with that, after all was the Cobra not really a bit 'Kit Car/ Hot Rod' using various items from other cars and fitting into an Ace? :o

I say leave them be, let them enjoy there new car, let them drive it not lock it up in a garage.

Each to their own and an owner for each.

Stay safe.

G

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 16:07:24 by GSouthee »
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 13:39:11 »
GSouthee car values do matter.  What we base those car values on matters.  This buyer paid over $100,000.00 for this car then it was worth.  Not because he was buying what he loved but because he was not familiar with what he was buying.  If he had not been caught up in the adrenline of an auction and this was the car of his dreams he could have purchased, with a little homework, a much better example at half of what he purchased this car for.  These kind of numbers don't do any owner's any favors.  When he goes to resell he certainly will not understand why he can't sell if for anything near what he bought it for.

So yes he can spend whatever he wants on a car but it wasn't like he was waiting for this particular example to show up and then, based on all of the information he had gathered on what makes an Ace parading as a poor Cobra a good purchase, he pounced.  At the end of the day a sale like this also disrupts the market.

I guess I am old fashioned.  I still like a car's value to be based on the things that matter (originality, history, condition, etc.). 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 14:06:48 by Cargirl »

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 16:19:48 »
Ah Cargirl,

I assume then that if you were selling/brokering this car and someone offered you over the odds for you would have said, "No No sir do not pay that much you can have it for half that amount". I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

I assume you know this chap who bought it, as you state he did not not do his homework etc etc. However maybe he did and this is what he wanted.

My point is car prices are what they are, they are based upon sentiment, desirability, rarity, history (perhaps), performance etc. They are based on the heart not the head. If you use your head you would buy Diamond or Gold etc.

Car values are always subjective.

Car values actually mean bugger all, just buy a car you like and use it. They are meant to be used not cossetted wrapped up in perfect humidity clean zone garages. Get them out on the road and get them dirty, they are repairable. The true value is in driving it!

As I said each to their own.

Stay safe.

Gary
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 16:21:21 by GSouthee »

My car my rules.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 19:24:25 »

Ah GSouthbee - I have a bridge in Arizona for sale with your name on it:)   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 19:30:30 by Cargirl »

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 20:22:14 »
Cargirl

If I had the funds I would buy it back, it needs to be over Old  Father Thames

Keep selling cars and stay safe.

Gary

Ps  If you come across a diesel powered, air bagged, channelled and flamed Cobra for sale do let me know ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 20:28:26 by GSouthee »

My car my rules.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 01:36:02 »
That is very funny. Truly.  I appreciate humor even if I am humorless.

I am sure you will find your diesel powered, air bagged, channelled and flamed Cobra on BAT.   If not you can always make one in your garage like someone made that Ac "Cobra".

Motor On My Friend,

Kelly Dietrick Exceptional Car Broker to the Stars.