Author Topic: Aceca Bristol tool kit and jack  (Read 3369 times)

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
Aceca Bristol tool kit and jack
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:50:29 »
Hi all, hoping you may be able  to help, I'm lucky enough to have the original tool tray for my Aceca but sadly it's very empty!  I've worked out what is missing and that the spanners should be made by Garrington and there's plenty available on eBay, but does anybody know the spanner sizes and whether they are  af or whitworth. I've attached a picture from the internet which looks like mine just a bit blury though.
Also would love to be able source an original jack, if anybody knows the make and model that would be great.
Many thanks Nick
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:53:18 by nicksonsticks »

AK1161

• View Profile
Re: Aceca Bristol tool kit and jack
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:20:28 »
I have sent you a PM.....i was sent all the information you need and will be happy to pass it on.
Cheers, Luke

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 17:03:03 »
Thanks Luke,  I've replied with my email address.
Many thanks
Nick

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 23:38:35 »
The tool kit is progressing well...
Thanks for all the amazingly detailed info and advice.
Does anyone know the correct model for the Jack?
Some research I've done suggests its a Shelley 7DL but I'm not totally convinced. If anybody could send me a photo that would be brilliant .
Also should the jack have a curved plate on top to locate on the main chassis or a flat top?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Have a great weekend.
Nick

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 00:37:46 »
The tools seem to have been answered outside the forum leaving 'what is the correct jack?'.

I am now on my third Aceca Bristol. AC changed details between cars and over time so there may not be a single 'correct jack'. My first Aceca came with a Lake and Elliot S414 (15 cwt) jack and a 30'' long square shaft with a square end which clicked into the jack and an eye at other end for a wooden handle. Can't remember if and where that was stowed. My second Aceca came with nothing and went the same. My current Aceca came with no jack but two 22'' square shafts which lock together, have the same square which clicks into an S414 (and perhaps others) anjd a hole at the other end for a round bar as a handle. The two shafts are attached to the inside of the RH vertical face of the spare wheel cover and the bar, plus a copper/hide, is stowed on the rear vertical panel behind the spare wheel and under the cover. I mention these details because I haven't seen any jacks for sale with an operating shaft.

I recently bought a Lake and Elliot S414. The lifting head is a shallow U with a concave base and the minimum overall height is 5 1/4''. A Shelley 7DL has been suggested but its minimum height is quoted on a website as 6 1/2''. I believe AC stowed the jack standing in the 'triangle' at the front LH of the spare wheel (where else could it go?). The internal height of my spare wheel cover is 6'' as is the 'height' of the 550x16 Michelin X on the spare wheel. So the cover sits on the tyre clear of the S414 but would not do so with a Shelley 7DL. Also if had the dreaded puncture in my 'low slung' Aceca I would rather fiddle in 5 1/4'' than 6 1/2''. Remember it's cold and it's raining!. Where you jack it up is another question. I can find no clue re jacks in Rinsey Mills' Original Ace and Aceca other than a picture of a jack in the boot of an Ace. This is not an S414 but may not be original. Perhaps my 30'' shaft was from an Ace.

So I think it is very likely that AC supplied the S414 for Acecas. They may have supplied others but I recommend the Lake and Elliot S414. I think the case for the S414 is, as lawers put it, persuasive if not conclusive.

Michael

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 10:25:21 »
Hi Michael, Thanks so much for the info.
I have now bought a Shelly 7DL, this fits nicely with the two square shafts which I know are original.
It cost me less than £10 so if it turns out to be incorrect its not a huge problem.
When I'm finally able to reassemble the car and put the spare in the boot etc I can take some measurements and I'll update this post so we should know whether it will fit in the space or not and whether it will physically fit under the car with a flat tyre? In the meantime I might just keep on the look out for an Elliot S414 (and an umbrella! :).
Many thanks

Nick

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 06:16:00 »
I believe the original jack for the Aceca, Ace, 2.6 Ace and Cobra for that matter is the Shelley 12DL model. A group of us AC owner’s from the other side of the pond (WCACOC) traded some e-mails on the subject of jacks a number of years ago. I’ve attached 4 pictures from those e-mails of Shelley jacks from 3 different owner’s cars one of which can attest to the Shelley 12DL as being original jack as he is the original owner of a 62 2.6 Ace (chime in Paul if you see this post). The jack with the tape measure next to it is from a 59 Aceca (thanks Greg), and the rusty one (shall I say slightly melted) is from my car a 55 Aceca - AEX521. Btw - My jack went through one of the California Wildfires that took out my storage locker…I’ll likely beadblast it and paint it as a memento. Notice that all the jacks have a number under the 12DL that closely corresponds to the year of car (54 for my car, 59 for the 59 Aceca, and 61 for the 62 2.6 Ace). I tried searching for a Shelley 12DL on line and gave up. I understand that when they come up for sale they can bring good money from the Cobra folks (over $500 US). My father said he used a scissors jack for all the years he drove my car (32 years), He said it was easier to use if one actually had to change a tire on the road.

FYI - The owner of the 62 2.6 Ace jack (Paul) is currently using a MGA Jack branded “6 INCH DL” (his original jack is missing some parts). I believe Paul said the MGA jack about ½” taller so it’s a slightly tighter fit, but very similar in style. Paul – can you chime in about how well your MGA jack works? I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
John
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:19:45 by Aceca289 »

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 22:48:45 »
Hi John, thanks so much or the info.
At this rate I could end up with more jacks than I have wheels :)
It's sounding like maybe there wasn't one specific jack that was supplied as original equipment? Possibly 3 different types? I'm guessing a bit here, so if anybody else would like to have a look at their jack and add the details to this post we might be able to come up with an accurate list for us all to refer to should we ever feel the need to know.
Thanks again for the info John, greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Nick

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 18:40:55 »
Hello!
i am bumping up this post, as i am looking for a Jack!
and tring to understand what would be a good one for a 1959 Aceca.
The Shelley 7 DL? the 12DL? Lake and Elliot S414?
the Shelley 7 DL would go under the wheel cover in the front left corner?

Any new info from last year last post?

Thanks!!
Eddie

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 23:41:54 »
Hi Eddie,
Sorry, no new info from me yet.

AEX146

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 10:03:12 »
The web site www.classic-British-car-jacks.uk has information on which jacks went with which cars.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 08:26:30 »
Thanks,
but they dont seems to have a definitive answer for the AC.
in the Shelley 7dl section they mention:

Quote:
the jack with the L-shaped jacking point may have been supplied with the AC Ace and Aceca (unconfirmed) but was definitely never part of the AC Cobra toolkit (see LJ22).  Indeed, the L-shape jacking point will not fit the AC Cobra.
End quote

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 18:33:22 »
Eddie,

I’m fairly certain that the original jack for the Ace / Aceca IS the Shelley 12DL per my post and pics from a year ago (see above). Pretty strong evidence with it being included in 2 Acecas and an Ace as original equipment between 55 and 62…and the curved support mates well with the the main tubes (which is the jacking point I’ve been using). Btw - there’s a “Shelley” jack for sale in ACtion right now. Not sure which model.

I ended up getting my jack bead blasted, painted and functioning again for display purposes. I also bought a scissor jack to carry in my car which I have already used on the road.

I hope this helps.

John

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 08:44:34 »
Thanks!
the 12DL seems to be short enough to go under the wheel cover.
Will look for one.
Found this on line with more info:
http://www.classic-british-car-jacks.uk/Shelley_Jacks/SHELLEY%2012DL%20&%20LJ22.pdf
Thanks!
Eddie

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 17:44:01 »
Interesting reading about various jacks in the link. It now seems even more logical that the 12DL was the jack for the Ace /Aceca and possibly carried over to the early Cobras?

Btw - the guy who prepared the description of jacks in cobras is Dan Case (an ACOC member and VERY knowledgeable on all things regarding original Cobras)