Author Topic: Buckland for sale  (Read 5879 times)

musicman

• View Profile
Re: Buckland for sale
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2021, 20:10:26 »
Hello David, sadly I did not post the information re this Drophead, my code is not ARCH, but the photo is interesting as the car uses the same rear side window treatment as the one off drophead with the larger boot and petrol tanks in the front wings.
Regards

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 10:44:05 »
The early car in the photographs and the much later car with the tanks in the front wings are indeed visually similar in the hood and side windows.

The earlier car may well be ELX 855, the second Two-Litre Drophead and the first LH drive  example. The first Drophead, L852, was recorded in the Factory Ledger as an experimental car.

Although ELX 855 was first registered early in 1949 the saloons in that section of the Factory Ledger were all mid 1948. This could explain the windscreen treatment on the car in the photographs, which was also used on the earliest Saloons.

Interestingly, some Dropheads, including the first two, were recorded in the Factory Ledger as 'Drophead Coupe', whereas others were simply 'Drophead'. Purely conjecture on my part, but could use of the term 'Coupe' be identifying the 'Cabriolet' style cars?

John
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:48:24 by ACOCArch »

dsjw1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2021, 07:34:45 »
Sorry Leo for the confusion on your “ handle”! Hope you are doing well. Would love to have a conversation with you one day on your research if Buckland bodyworks.  Ayler you’d be willing to do a zoom call and we can catch up? Regardless hope you’re doing well!