Author Topic: Buckland for sale  (Read 5837 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Buckland for sale
« on: May 09, 2021, 01:00:43 »
Gullwing Motors has a Buckland on eBay right now. I’m sure it is overpriced as all their stuff is, but here’s the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274790016425
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 00:07:24 by pjbowman »
Peter B.

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
Re: Buckland for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 18:11:37 »
This car is not a Buckland. 
It is one of only approximately 13 Drop Head Coupes bodied by Thames Ditton. A very rare survivor!

Tom

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 00:03:15 »
I learn something new every day!

Hope someone saves this rare beast.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 00:04:18 »
If it is not considered a Buckland, what is the model designation? Just DHC?
Peter B.

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 08:25:38 »
Strictly the 'Buckland' is a 2 Litre chassis bodied by the Buckland Bodyworks. (See Photo - Note the hood without pram irons and side screens)

ACs also produced the same bodywork termed the '2 Litre Sports' or '2LS' in the sales book. (Photo of RWE 343 - Very much the same style as the Buckland but has a bodywork door plate like a 2 Litre)

The Drop Head was bodied exclusively by Thames Ditton and, despite ACs having a range of names to choose from, rather like the 2 Litre Saloon, is termed the 'Drop Head Coupe' or 'DHC' in the sales record (Note - pram irons on the hood, Saloon type doors and windscreen and glass windows all round)

Tom

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 15:29:23 »
I wholly agree with Crankcase, lovely rare car.

Not sure how knowledgeable the dealer is if he thinks its a Buckland?

Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:25:07 »
Yes all the above details are correct. This D/H/C is chassis number ELX 1102, engine UMB 1103, as can be seen the car is left hand drive and was originally sent to Auto Palace in Holland.

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 11:29:50 »
Thanks for the Chassis and Engine number, I will be able to add it to the register as a survivor.  I hope it goes to a good home.

All the best,
Tom

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 18:41:53 »
Tom, did you receive my info on the updates I have found for the 2 Litre?
Regards, Leo

dsjw1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 04:15:08 »
I connected via email with the dealer and advised car was not a Buckland this past weekend. The response I got was just a link to more photos. Tom sounds like you’ve found the numbers so great. It’s an interesting car and i learned of its more rare livery and advised dealer that too. Again no response! While I’m partial to the Buckland it’s still a pretty car.

Leo hope you are doing well!!

David Wightman

AC-Crankcase

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 08:03:11 »
Hi Leo,

Always happy to get news of 2 Litres so thanks for both the 2 Litre and Buckland information, I have changed the Register to reflect it.

David,

Personally I prefer the DHC but I do not have enough room!!

All the best,
Tom

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 01:25:43 »
Car is now correctly relisted as a DHC. Will see if it sells!
Peter B.

dsjw1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 04:02:17 »
The more the merrier but I too suffer from notenoughgaragespaceitis. It’s something I try to deal with.....

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 12:35:37 »
A great find! It never fails to amaze me where ACs were sold in that period and earlier, and that they keep turning up!

Further to Tom's description above, the AC Two-Litre - based models included a Cabriolet version of the Drophead. This had cant rails over the doors, rear side windows and a different hood.  It is not known how many of this model were made, there being no cars  recorded as such in the Factory Ledger.

The Cabriolet in the period photographs, below, is a very early example of the Two-Litre, having completely divided windscreens and a chrome embellishment running across the scuttle and up the divide.

From the photographs on e-bay, the Drophead in New York has white-on-black instruments and no sidelight pintles. My parent's 1949 saloon - not identified but possibly L1085 - had both. Also, the windscreen wipers were controlled by a large black knob on the centre-top of the dashboard. Does anyone know when these features were changed?

The full range of AC Two-Litre based cars were described in the ACtion Archives of May, June and July 2017. These included a few 'woodie' estate cars and, in Denmark, a couple of 7-seater taxis!

John
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 16:02:40 by ACOCArch »

dsjw1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 06:20:11 »
Such a wealth of knowledge Leo. You should write a book...... hope you are well!