Author Topic: AC ACE/ GREYHOUND CYLINDER HEAD  (Read 3640 times)

REV

• View Profile
AC ACE/ GREYHOUND CYLINDER HEAD
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:26:52 »

May be of help to someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160362642055&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:23:34 »
It's a PVT Head, but it is $1,000 to buy it & deliver it to the UK! Looks like a good head for those owners who need one.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:37:24 »
I was thinking it would almost be cheaper to go & collect it! There is a chap on the UK Cobra replica club who recently bought a 289 engine from the states, and has colleagues in 'the Carolinas' who asssited him in sending it over... I`ll ask him for any advice he may have about delivery.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 00:11:53 »
How can you tell the difference between a PVT head and an Ace/Aceca head?
Peter B.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:04:41 »
First it has 18mm plugs which were fitted to Pre War heads, Post War AC fitted 14mm!
   The stud positions on the front of the head determine if it is Vintage or Post Vintage, in this case the poitions are for a Post Vintage head.
   The same heads fit all periods of the Weller engine subject to the front studs being to suit the period in question.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:22:13 »
Robin

As usual a Mine of Information,  Now we have a easy way to ID AC heads in future. Not that they come up often and when they do they are usually the worse off for wear with cracking between the valve chambers.

Lots of these Old heads can be salvaged and repaired,  check out:-

Slinden Services Ltd  Based in Measham,  Derbyshire.

www.Slinden.co.uk
   email: info@slinden.co.uk

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 19:12:08 »
Thanks Robin, if you ever get a chance I'd love to see a side-by-side picture of a PVT and Ace head so I can visually see the differences you describe.

Peter
Peter B.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 11:29:25 »
Peter
   It is fairly easy to identify the differant heads, the Vintage head had three studs on the front one each side toward the outer edge & one at the lower centre at the bottom of the water outlet they also had 18mm plugs the water pump was mounted on the front & driven by the camshaft.
   The PVT had four studs dispersed around the water outlet with the water pump driven by the crankshaft via 'V' belt also 18mm plugs.
   The Post War heads had two studs, one each side of the water outlet with 14mm plugs, it should be noted that some of the ACE heads had a lower combustion chamber (smaller Volume).
   There is one other variable which occured in that there was a bridge piece for the head studs at four positions adjacent to the cam bearing stands to allow oil to pass to drain these heads requires longer head studs, unfortunately this section does have a habit of bending under load, also it allows oil to seep down the clearance hole to the gasket!Not sure when this change occurred?
   I hope this gives you the info you need.

Robin

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 18:43:16 »
Excellent info, thanks Robin!

Petyer
Peter B.