Author Topic: Rev Counter Cable - LHD Ace Bristol  (Read 2865 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Rev Counter Cable - LHD Ace Bristol
« on: September 16, 2009, 21:26:39 »
Can some one please confirm the correct length of the Rev Counter Cable for a LHD Ace Bristol ?

During the Castle Combe track day, my Rev Counter needle decided to dance around,  seemed steady upto 3000RPM then Oscillated by 1000RPM over 3500/4000RPM.  Seemed fairly steady when glancing at the rev counter at 5500 to 6000RPM.

The inner cable seems free, when rotating by hand anti clockwise from the Distributor end and the rev Counter reads 300/400RPM. THerefore lubricated with 3 in 1 oil and refitted.

I replaced this cable about 6 years ago ( approx 32,000/33,000 miles ago) But could only get a RHD unit at the time, this is definitely longer than required.

Brian Eacott only stocks RHD units, Therefore can someone please confirm correct length of cable and best source / supplier  ....  Speedy Cables??

Thanking you in advance

Keith

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:18:26 »
Keith,

I have a similar problem with the speedometer on my AC engined Aceca and assumed it was a worn cable.  I replaced the cable, expecting the problem to be resolved but that was not the case.  My speedometer still dances around.  As I understand it, over time the lubricant from the cable can work its way up into the gears of the speedometer/rev counter and gum up the works.  It may be that your rev counter needs cleaning given that you replaced the cable only 6 years ago.  I believe the recommended lubricant these days is graphite as it does not get sticky with age.  This may or may not be the problem but it is worth ruling out.

Greg

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 14:25:38 »
Greg

Will investigate further next week, However, using the Ace this weekend for Goodwood Revival.

In the meantime, If any one can confirm the correct length of the Cable for LHD it would be appreciated.  The RHD cable presently fitted must be at least 350mm longer than necessary.

Re; Speedo.

My mileometer works accurately but the speedo has danced around for the past 9 years,  never refer to the speedo, just use the Rev Counter.

Cheers .... Keith

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 19:03:22 »
Still need to know accurate length of Rev Counter Inner/Outer cable for LHD Ace Bristol.  Can someone please open the hood of their Ace and run a tape over it, even if it only the length visible from Distributor tower to bulkhead ? I can calculate from bulkhead to rear of rev counter then have a few made.

Many thanks

Keith  [:)]