Author Topic: Ace Brake Caliper anti rattle shims/springs  (Read 7731 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Re: Ace Brake Caliper anti rattle shims/springs
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 15:05:13 »
James,
The Front Upright B60125/6 was an A.C. part. I rather think that the engine position in the chassis was determined by John Tojeiro to give 50/50 weight distribution rather than to avoid the steering idler which is the most aft part of the Bishop Cam steering arrangement.  No rack on an Ace of course. The other point to remember is that the design is for drum brakes and that the caliper and caliper carrier were a later adaptation. 
It is certainly the case that mounting a steering box behind the front axle centre line is inherently much safer than extending the steering column in front of the axle, however whether or not A.C. had this in mind when redesigning Tojeiro's steering is another mystery...
The question on caliper dust covers and retainers for the Type B calipers, as fitted to Ace and Aceca is straightforward: The pads are retained by two triangular plates which mount on the little studs which appear at top and bottom of the pad access aperture. The plates are aligned by having a small tab, at their peak, turned over at 90° which enter in to a blind hole in the caliper, just above the mounting stud. Beneath these retaining plates could be fitted a convoluted spring steel plate which was to prevent the pads rattling. Above the retaining plates an A.C. supplied aluminium plate could be fitted. The whole 'sandwich' was retained by plain nuts and shakeproof washers. The Girling illustration on their Ace / Aceca Service Bulletin shews the retaing plate and anti rattle spring, but no dust shield. The anti rattle springs and dust shield were geneally discarded for competition and, if not, they seemed to corrode and drop off anyway.
All of this will be academic on many an Ace and Aceca as, even in period, the Type B caliper was being superseded and alternative Girling calipers are to be found fitted to many cars today. I will try and add a scan of the Girling Service Bulletin later, but first one has to sort out the HP printing and scanning programme which has been disabled by reason of the demise of 'Flash' player. A grand waste of time....
Barrie

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 16:31:04 »
Here we are, after much fighting with the lap top and printer, the Girling disc brake Service Bulletin:

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 09:04:01 »
There's a full version of this on the Members' Area of the website:

Members' Area -> Model Directory - > Ace -> Articles -> Ace and Aceca Brake Servicing

I'll replace it at some stage as it's one of the early scans without page breaks which doesn't make printing easy.

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 21:29:42 »
Thanks Barry, I missed your reply when you wrote it. I've taken a copy of your scan for my file.