Author Topic: March Tourers exported to the USA  (Read 2407 times)

JC37D

• View Profile
March Tourers exported to the USA
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:47:32 »
I’m new to the forum, and hoping some of you can aid me in finding info/history on the March Tourers that were originally exported to the USA. In particular I am most interested in finding period photos, vintage photos and some history on the 3 cars exported to the US (L558, L564, & L565) along with others in hopes of of gaining a significant market in the US.
I’m sure many of you have noted that L550 has been listed for sale for a good bit (see Prewarcar.com), and it has regularly been presumed to be one of the 3 cars, but according to the seemingly creditable list published in the book “AC Six-Cylinder Sports Cars . .” , it was sent earlier and sold through the same NY firm (as was Errol Flynn’s car L452).
I have a copy of a 1980 AC register that indicates L558 and L564 were registered and still in the US at that time. But I have found nothing much on the earlier or later save for a couple 1940s pics of L564, and and some indication that the car was left to deterioate and in quite the state by the 1990s.
I have also noted the 2 pictures of Errol Flynn’s car on the forum here and elsewhere, and find the timing of the color change curious. The pre-mentioned production list indicates the car was originally black. Yet the photo that seem to show it black has a 1938 Cal plate, while the one showing it white or a light color has a 1937 plate on it rather than the other way round.
At any rate any info and pics, or pointers to same would be most appreciated! You can feel free to email me directly through my listed address too.
Thanks,
Jim C

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: March Tourers exported to the USA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 13:59:35 »
Jim
David Buice who lives in Texas may have one of the cars you refer to, he also knows about the Errol Flynn car, maybe you should contact him for more information.

Robin

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 17:43:10 »
In the advert (prewarcar.com) for L550, it states that the US exports had a wider body,  I know that most of (all?) the US cars had wide track axles but to my eyes, from the photos, the body looks the usual width but the wings look wider.

JC37D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 11:26:30 »
Wide body, windshields, & telecontrol: Im by no means an expert on prewar ACs, but Ive been trying to learn what I could for sometime, and everything Ive seen suggests the wide-body or wide-track cars are essentially the same as others save for the axles and widened fenders.
Additionally I have not been able to see any difference between the bodies of the 2 seat competition cars and the four seat competition from the doors and on to the front, except for the windshield supports, which spread out further to hold a wider windshield on the 4 seater. Is this correct?
Ive also noted AC literature that indicates all cars (from 36 or 37 on) come equipped with teleconenct dampers. But I have only seen it on a couple of cars other than the 2 seat comp cars. And the ad for L550 suggests that it has them, which it does not (I know of at least one 4 seater that does).
Perhaps manufacturing didn't follow marketing, or prices could be reduced by opting to go without.
Others views on these matters would also be appreciated. And it would be great to hear from any current owners of March 4 seat tourers.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 09:54:21 »
The body tubs on the wide track cars were the same as the standard ones; the additional width of the axles was covered by wider wings.  The only cars with a reproportioned body to suit the wide axles were the saloons and DHCs built on the 9' 11" chassis (rather than 9' 7" for the 4 seaters and 8' 10" for the 2 seaters).  There were two distinct varieties of 2 seaters, the early slab tank cars and the later round tail ones.  The round tail ones have a taller radiator.  I don't know whether the early two seaters shared the front end of the four seaters.

Whether Telecontrol dampers were standardised around 1937 I don't know, but they may have been removed from many cars during restoration as parts only became available again about 20 years ago.  They aren't shown as an option on the price lists I have seen, but AC were famous for letting customers specify what they wanted within the limits of the standard chassis/body combinations.

JC37D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 00:29:36 »
Thanks for the responses so far! My suppositions concerning the telecontrol dampers come in part from period photographs of the later cars that do not have the gauges on the dash, nor the cylinders aside the cowl under the hood.

But certainly the variability of most all cars of this era, along with the reality that most all have been completely redone at least once, indeed makes suppositions difficult.

Another detail Im curious about is the placement of the telecontrol control valves under the dash. Was the installation layout consistent? Ive noted them in different locations, but again I presume this could be due to systems being installed in restoration or variance from the works.

Also, I received an indication that someone felt I was knocking the tourer for sale for not having these dampers (L550): That was not at all my intention! It is a most beautiful car, and a fastidiously detailed restoration! It was simply that the portion of the ad that implied it had the telecontrol seemed to be derived from the same original marketing brochures I have seen, and I meant only to point it out as an example of what I had noted regarding the system not being seen on all cars.