Author Topic: Aceca AEX567 on eBay  (Read 13931 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:57:21 »
If there are any brave souls out there with bottomless pockets, wrecked Aceca AEX567 is on eBay right now, item #250486640140. What a shame to see it in its current state, but it looks like financial suicide to try and restore. Hope someone does it, though!

Click here to see the item:
   http://bit.ly/1IR3Ls

The register shows 567 as Oxford Blue/White, based on the register I bet this is really AEX561, listed as Green/Beige, which this car obviously is. Both were shipped to Detroit. Of course, Company records could have been mixed up too, we've all seen that before.

Peter
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 20:45:25 »
Peter

This Aceca is 1000% better than AEX561,  which is also for sale.

Even the chassis rails on AEX561 have rotted through, the metal structure under  or supporting the glass fibre foofwell and dash has rotted through.

Better still I will try to get some pictures of AEX561 on the Forum.  the picture were taken within the past 6 weeks.
   You will have to agree AEX567 is  a more viable restoration project than AEX561.  Neither for the Faint hearted.

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 23:37:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol...Better still I will try to get some pictures of AEX561 on the Forum.  the pictures were taken within the past 6 weeks. Keith

AEX561

AEX561 Interior

AEX561 Engine Bay, (note rotten chassis rails)

AEX561 rear

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:08:51 »
Keith, where is 561 located now? I saw the pics when Jerry Bensinger had the car on offer. AEX567 has 3 bids already, so will be sold, and hopefully returned to the road some day. Hard to tell how bad 567 really is, I watched the video the listing points to, and some of the side panels actually look like they are rusted thru, which we all know doesn't happen with aluminum, and no shots of the under carriage or chassis, so there really are some brave individuals out there! I can't imagine trying to recreate the nose,both wings, and who knows what else from scratch, but more power to the bidders. If people are willing to buy cars in this condition, I think that only points to good things, means the cars are appreciated. Now whether either of these ever make it back on the road or not we'll have to wait and see, could just be some dreamers out there....and we'll see the cars for sale again in a few years in the same (or worse) condition.
Peter B.

hawk289

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:37:05 »
Keith,

AEX567 will be an interesting restore, I have been through a couple of Aceca restores and correct not for the weak minded people. I purchased AEX561 as a project car. The car has got a rotten front member, but generally is OK for a body off restore. I saw it originally in the US, but was not interested. The problem now is project cars are coming hard to find.

I will keep the forum up to date on the AEX561, saves a few pounds doing all the mechanic's / chassis myself. The body will go to an AC body guy that I know who is brilliant. He restored my previous Aceca AE551. So lets see, as always if anyone has any history on AEX561 would be interested.

Back to 567, who ever wins the car give me a shout I have a jig from my original restore for the front chassis member.

John

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:06:31 »
John

I heard there was a potential buyer in negoiation for AEX561 within the past couple of months, Definitely a great project car, (assuming it was bought at the right price).

It's nice to know it's gone to a good home in nthe UK and to someone who will see the project through.   JOHN (We know U R) Abel !!

Are you intending to reinstate a AC engine or utalise a Ford 2.6 with Moss or Amazon box ?  Which ever, If the end results are to the same standard as AE551 then it will a great result.  Yet another AC rescued from it's slumber and back on the road to give enjoyment to the owner and other AC and classic car enthusiasts.

Can you please keep the Forum updated with pictorial progress reports .... Similar to the much followed "Cobra MK1V" restoration rebuild project ??
   Would be appreciated and closely followed by many.

Keith

hawk289

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:34:10 »
Keith,

Will, this time my plan is too do the following:

a. The car will be race/road [note order race first, road second], I feel like entering the "brake drum only series].

b. Engine, I have a spare Zephyr lump with a special triple weber iron head, not a mays but a one off weber conversion

c. Gearbox will be a rocket or bullet, depending which one I can find. I may go for a short tell Type 9. Quaiffe did one in the past for the Type 9 gearbox.

d. Will be on the road next year or two.

I plan to get the body / chassis off in the next few months will take various pictures as I realized the inners of an Aceca are not widely known so I will keep everyone updated.

John.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:14:11 »
John, glad to hear 561 went to someone who actually knows these cars and will get it back on the road. I just hope 567 is as lucky. I'd be more afraid of 567 due to the crash,and without seeing the chassis hard to know how much damage is there and if it's even salvageable. I mean it looks like the roof is buckled as well as possibly the rear wings. Now mind you, if I had unlimited funds, time, and skill, I admit I'd be tempted. But since I'm woefully short on all 3, will just wish the new owner good luck!

Peter
Peter B.

hawk289

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:22:51 »
Peter,

Knowing Ac's anything is possible [with the correct level of funds]. AE551 was near the same state as 561 which I restored a few years ago. The problem I have with 567 is the level of work.

a. A new front end is required, including chassis, etc. This is big job even for me, a buck and chassis jig will be required.

b. The roof seems not related to the damage at the front.

c. The engine damage will be interesting, also how much has gone backwards through the car. The gearstick seems in the correct place so all may be well.

So few of the cars have been produced getting them all on the road is important for the history of AC. I agree I hope 567 goes to a good home. I was tempted by the car, but my wife would kill me. With my other projects [still a hobby] time in one day is not enough.

John

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:00 »
John, I can't image what the divorce settlement would be like if you bought 561 AND 567! A man's got to know his limitations, as Clint Eastwood said!

I look forward to progress reports on 561.

Peter
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 21:55:49 »
Sold for $28,200US! To be honest, I'm amazed, but glad to see Acecas are getting the attention they deserve. Anyone on the forum end up buying the car?
Peter B.

hawk289

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 00:01:20 »
Wow, that is impressive. But compared to Ace's this is still a good buy. I see quite a few Aceca's are now fetching 67-80K. So prices are on the up!!

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:49 »
AEX567 made it on to Bringatrailer.com soon after this forum post...this could have contributed to the interest in this car.

Link: http://bringatrailer.com/2009/08/23/softer-than-steel-shortened-1957-ac-aceca/#more-2019

I am curious to find out what happens to this car.

John

rhoff

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 00:53:49 »
I am the nutcase that bought AEX567.  I will be happy to recount the adventure as it happens.  It will be long and slow.  The car first must be moved from Michigan to California.  All of your wives should thank me for keeping the rest of you out of trouble.

Roger

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aceca AEX567 on eBay
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:19:11 »
OK,  So we have a pair of nut cases buying a pair of well worn Acecas numbers BEX561 & BEX567.

Now,  it's not a race,  However we would like to see regular progress reports on each restoration,  should make interesting reading.

The comparison of deterioration of timber framework & electrolysis should proove of interest to those other brave Souls ( AC Nutcases) who take on future Aceca projects, Definitely not for the faint hearted!!

Aces are far easier and cheaper to restore, However they not as rare and practicle as a Aceca.

Roger is AEX567 going to be rebuilt as a road car or a track car?
   or simply used and enjoyed as originally intended  back in the 1950s?

Good Luck  to both  John & Roger .... Will these two cars ever sit side by side as they probably once did in Detroit and Thames Ditton back in the 1950s?

3 , 2, 1  ...  Let the Progress reports begin

Keith