Author Topic: Correct Period Washer Jets Ace / Aceca/ Cobra  (Read 24750 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Correct Period Washer Jets Ace / Aceca/ Cobra
« on: August 21, 2009, 13:32:58 »
Any Ace or Aceca owner looking for the correct period chrome washer jets mounted in a chrome oval base plate for scuttle mounting,  as supplied and fitted by AC Cars Ltd " Thames Ditton"  in late 1950s early 1960s.

These units are still made, Check out :-

http://www.bryanpurves.co.uk/Dart.html#NP

For pictures  refer to Windscreen thread on the Cobra/ Frua Section of our Forum.

Not the cheapest but they are there on the shelf.

Keith

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 16:05:40 »
Keith,
   Have you seen a picture of the ones offered by Bryan? They are the single orifice version?

Jim

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 20:47:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by A-Snake

Keith,
   Have you seen a picture of the ones offered by Bryan? They are the single orifice version?

Jim

Jim

No I haven't seen even a picture.  Mike mansergh responded to our  thread,  staing that he was at a major show last weekend, noticed that all the SP250 present wore what looked like identicalt washer
   jet system to His AC Aceca.

Mike investigated further and came upon Bryan Purves web site, worth contacting Bryan and requesting details or refering him to our Forum to confirm whether they are the same.

Mike is under the impressionthey are the same twin jet variety.

Did David respond to your fax, regards supply from his NOS Stock here in the UK?

Keith

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 21:42:34 »
Keith,
   I just received a reply from Bryan Purves;

"The original screen jets (which we have now a very limited number of original items in stock) were always twin outlet with a pressed stainless steel base plate beneath which is a compression plate and then a rubber gasket between the body and the unit.The complete unit is held in position with 2 s/s slotted screws.
   I am currently taking pictures of the parts which we manufacture and supply and putting them as thumbnails on my website so hopefully this should prompt me to take a picture of a washer jet."

As you mentioned in your last post these are the twin orifice. Cobras and I assume Aces used two SINGLE orifice units.

So the hunt continues [:D]

Senior moment...David who? I haven't sent a fax to anyone in the UK.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 00:57:11 »
Jim

OOOpppss,  My mistake, I confirmed fax details of a source of genuine period TRICO washer jet system to Peter ( The Englishman ) In Australia.
   I cannot afford to publish my source on the Forum,  Please email me and I will confirm fax and tel number, not sure how many New Old Stock items are possibly available.

Hopefully, Bryan Purves new supply are correct modern copy and can satisfy the demand of AC Owners.

my email:  Keith dot lessiter @  faac dot co dot uk
   I will confirm details upon receipt of your email.

Keith

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:18:04 »
Keith,
   Sent you an email but, I'm still confused.[:I]

The reply from Bryan Purves stated that the screenjets he has have two orifices. Those would not work for 289 Cobras nor AC's as I was sure Aces also use two single orifices.

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 13:30:09 »
Are different models of cars built in different time frames with different specifications being discussed together?

I have looked at very few AC roadsters built prior to the introduction of the Cobra but I have examined and studied vary many Cobras and 427 Cobras since 1972 when I first noticed so many differences in construction between Cobra CSX2144 and Cobra CSX2465 just three blocks apart near my home back when they were just used sports cars to most of the world.

Early U.S.A. delivery Cobras were fitted with windscreen washer systems marked as being Lucas, including glass fluid containers in a wire frame mounting bracket. The screen jets  found as new old stock today come in old Lucas packages.  A running change in U.S.A. delivery cars included the replacement of the Lucas brand reservoir and pump with Ford regular production parts with the remainder of the washer system parts staying as they were. Most U.S.A. delivery Cobras received one of a few versions of Ford pump and plastic bag reservoir used in the production time frame.

Did Trico really manufacture the Lucas marketed parts? I don’t know. Names on packages don’t mean that company made what was in them. Sears, Roebuck, and Company (Sears) distributes many goods under their brand names here in the U.S.A. and yet they make nothing. Countless suppliers around the world make goods for them and put them in “Sears” packages.

427 Cobras were done to different specifications than any of the U.S.A. delivery Cobras. The 427 Cobra received washer system reservoirs labeled as Trico brand and they used a much different screen jet assembly than that of the earlier Cobra .

That is why I asked if this discussion is mixing different car types in different time frames into a single subject.
   Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 05:59:42 »
Just out of curiosity, do the washers work as well as the wipers?[;)]
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 20:34:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Just out of curiosity, do the washers work as well as the wipers?[;)]
   Jay

Jay

BETTER !!!  The water jets actually hit the screen prior to washing your Face, Hair and the Bootlid.

Anything on the Ace works better than the wipers,  I find I very rarely use my wipers other than prove they go from side to side when being presented annually to the DVLA for its Mot.

I find my gloves, handkerchief or sleeve clear the screen on the inside more effective than the wipers on the outside.

When it rains real heavy, just go faster and the rainex works brilliantly and If you wear glasses put on a base ball cap.

Keith

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:52:11 »
Keith,
   You're right about the interior of the windscreen. Here you see more streaks on the inside than on the outside. Wipers are actually working...with RainX [:D]

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:30:20 »
Jim, were you driving in the rain or was the water present the result of using the washers?[:D]

Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:42:44 »
With the amount of water on and in the car my FoMoCo washer bag would have been emptied many times over.
   [;)]