Author Topic: umb 2 litre. timing marks on flywheel; camshaft set by clearance ?  (Read 1775 times)

clough

• View Profile
Being in South Africa with limited (very) information available there must be a simple
way to get this timing right. The current camshaft is approx 23mm at the base .     
I tried .020" clearance and it sounded noisy. I tried .006" and it was good for noise .
Is there a simple tool I can make to hold the tensioner back? The cam appears to be a 20023.Jack Clough   

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: umb 2 litre. timing marks on flywheel; camshaft set by clearance ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 16:34:58 »
The Owners Handbook gives the setting information you need & possibly the articles on the Club members section would be helpful, you can take the chain tension off  with a 12" aluminium length of 1" by 1/4" bar withe each end having an angle cut at say 45 degrees this can be used to hold the Weller spring straight by locating it in the rolled ends of the spring!
0.020" is the recommended valve clearance for AC Camshafts.
Timing can be set per the handbook or a simple way is to have number one piston at top dead centre & set the cam on the rock! It might be easier to have a vernier chain sprocket!

Robin

morrybush

• View Profile
Re: umb 2 litre. timing marks on flywheel; camshaft set by clearance ?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 18:01:56 »
A small point, when no1 is at tdc compression, its no 6 cylinders valves that are rocking. Dave.