Author Topic: Grease Guns  (Read 13784 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:41:53 »
This weekend I picked up a Tecalemit grease gun at a swap meet and it is the same as the one that came on 125. However, when I compare it to the ones in Original Ace and Cobra pics, is it different. The 2 I have has a plunger coming out the back, but the ones in the book have no plunger. Were differenet ones used throughout production or do I have 2 of the wrong type?
   Thanks,
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 23:10:00 »
No plunger on Cobra grease guns. The model is GB 2800. I assume the same as ones used in Aces.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:53:54 »
I agree on no plunger. Jay, my Ace AEX127 still has its original gun, when I get home after Meadow Brook I'll be glad to send you a picture if you'd like.

Peter
Peter B.

A-Snake

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 14:19:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by A-Snake

No plunger on Cobra grease guns. The model is GB 2800. I assume the same as ones used in Aces.

Just to confuse the issue [:o)] There are multiple 'body' designs for the GB 2800 grease gun. Such as a pitched or cap style body. The screw on cap also had more than one design. There are also different tips. I believe only one of the tips is correct for a Cobra.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 15:04:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by A-Snake...There are also different tips. I believe only one of the tips is correct for a Cobra.

Aah, but which one? We need answers, not more questions than we started with! [;)]

A-Snake

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 15:57:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by A-Snake...There are also different tips. I believe only one of the tips is correct for a Cobra.

Aah, but which one? We need answers, not more questions than we started with! [;)]

The one that fits the Zerk fittings [:o)]

http://www.saeproducts.com/bsp-grease-fittings.html

Sorry...I couldn't help myself. [:I]

rr64

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 21:54:44 »
RE: Adapter Tip
   The one I expect for USA Cobras and 427 Cobras is the small diameter one with a taper at the end with a circumferential groove cut around the straight section near the taper. (There is a similar tip without the groove.)

I have examined, have, or have had ones with
   • two different length body cylinders
   • three different closed ends, two different pleated versions and a round cap design
   • several different adapter tips, some tips could be ones owners swapped in somewhere along
   • two different "GB 2800" embossed caps, i.e. both marked GB 2800 but they are embossed with two different patent numbers

All the parts except the adapter tips and cylinders themselves appear to be the principally the same and interchange so you can take two or more rough ones and usually build one really nice one from parts to suit the style you are after. This summer I took three bargain ones to make one pretty nice one for a friend's Cobra.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

aex125

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:00:34 »
Thanks guys,
   The guy who sold me the one at the swap meet said I could return it of it wasn't the right one so we'll see if he is good to his word. On the ones without the plunger, what pumps the grease? Does the tip and projection compress back into the body, or is there something else going on?
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 14:03:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

On the ones without the plunger, what pumps the grease? Does the tip and projection compress back into the body, or is there something else going on?
   Jay

That's it, very simple.

rr64

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 20:59:19 »
Re: Style Used In USA Cobras/427 Cobras. The grease reservoir is at the screw cap end, i.e. to refill the cylinder you unscrew the cap and pull the pump toward the opposite end while filling the resulting cavity with grease. The actual pump is on the opposite end of the tube as the fitting adapter tip. When the cylinder is full the tube will extend its maximum and when empty most of the tube will be inside the cylinder. The pump is simple check valves and spring type manual pump. The whole pump slides along the length of the cylinder as grease is depleted. There is a large rubber ring seal around the pump that is supposed to keep grease from escaping out of the discharge end of the cylinder. The tube is not sealed where it rides in its bearing.

To dismantle the main pieces, remove the fitting adapter tip (carefully the tube damages easily, all the ones but one that I have are aluminum), remove the screw cap, and push the tube into the cylinder until the pump on its other end comes out of the body.  It is not easy to dismantle the pump and tube assembly so should probably not be done unless it will not operate properly anyway.  It can be done but the assembly has a bearing/o-ring retainer that is captured in place by swaging the pump body housing extension over it. I has able to slowly open up the swage and get the rest of the assembly apart. I made my repairs and put it back together using a tiny jeweler’s hammer to gently bend over the edge of the retainer housing to recreate the functional crimp of the original swage operation. On the other pumps I just used WD-40® lubricant to dissolve and wash out the old grease.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:04:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by rr64

RE: Adapter Tip
   The one I except for USA Cobras and 427 Cobras is the small diameter one with a taper at the end with a circumferential groove cut around the straight section near the taper. (There is a similar tip without the groove.)

I have examined, have, or have had ones with
   • two different length body cylinders
   • three different closed ends, two different pleated versions and a round cap design
   • several different adapter tips, some tips could be ones owners swapped in somewhere along
   • two different "GB 2800" embossed caps, i.e. both marked GB 2800 but they are embossed with two different patent numbers

All the parts except the adapter tips and cylinders themselves appear to be the principally the same and interchange so you can take two or more rough ones and usually build one really nice one from parts to suit the style you are after. This summer I took three bargain ones to make one pretty nice one for a friend's Cobra.

Dan

Dan,  Peter  &  Jay

Any chance of posting a few pictures of the various models,  seems lots of variations, all do the same job, but which is correct issue?

Were different generation of grease gun supplied to the Ace & Aceca as apposed to the Cobra ?

Pictures say so much more than words,  especially when comparing the variations mentioned in this thread.

Keith

rr64

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 16:40:44 »

Also note that there are more than one shade of blue and some are just "metallic" blue while others are "hammer tone" blue.

Dan
Dan Case

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 18:06:07 »
These were made by a company called 'Tecalemite' who made all types of lubrication equipement.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 18:12:33 »
Just seen one on 'E'bay for less than £5, must be loads at autojumbles also!

A-Snake

• View Profile
Grease Guns
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 18:34:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin A Woolmer

These were made by a company called 'Tecalemite' who made all types of lubrication equipement.

I believe it is spelled 'Tecalemit'