Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 4295 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:15:55 »
Did I see a post in the not too distant past about interchangeable brakes for the Ace's?
   Am I correct in understanding the Triumph TR3 brakes (discs, calipers) can be used as they were from the same supplier originally?

Who can lead me out of the dark?

Thanks,

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:57 »
The calipers and pads are definitely TR3 and according to a few sources the rotors are also. I was going to pick up some rotors and report back for sure, but have been sidetracked and have not made it back to that yet.
   Jay

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 18:50:27 »
Thanks Jay,

I appreciate the help. What do you suggest fitting in the rear if you want discs instead of the drums?

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 15:17:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Thanks Jay,

I appreciate the help. What do you suggest fitting in the rear if you want discs instead of the drums?

Gus

Gus

Have I misinterpretted your quote ???

Why do you want to fit discs to the rear ? or are you asking what linings to fit to the rear if one fits discs up front?

As you know,  75% to 80% of your braking is done by the front brakes so the rear brakes do very little, by fitting discs to the rear wheels with such a light weight car as the Ace you will just flat spot the rear tyres.

Even by fitting a Bias pedal box and adjusting you are not really going to gain any better braking.

Well adjusted Alfin Drums all round are more than adaquate for normal road use,  granted discs up front stop a wee bit quicker and are more efficient, therefor brake fade comes a lot latter when pushing very hard or are on the track.

It is important to set up and  carefully adjust the rear brakes and hand brake, You then get better braking all round and a much firmer brake pedal.

Use of braided brake lines (Covered in rubber for the authentic look) will improve the feel through the pedal as the braided  pipe/s do not expand like the rubber pipes.

Competition brake linings are good for the track especially when at full working temperature, However they are not advisable for road use as they are not very effecient when cold, especially in the winter months, " Brown trousers and cycle clips come to mind "

Hope the above answers a few questions.

Last but not least, Jay, stand in the corner and write 100 times,   " I must pay more attention and not be side tracked"

Seriously ...   ...   Are the TR3 brake discs & calipers etc  the same as those employed by AC or did AC have specials made for the Ace & Aceca ??

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 16:27:11 »
Oh, I'm well aware of the braking abilities of the drums in the rear and how the front is doing most of the work. However this question is not regarding my Aceca. I am working on a "special" project, more on that in due time, and I am contemplating fitting disc rears, more in the trend of the 289's. So, hence the question and any info on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 18:03:19 »
Gus
   If you want a 289 set up contact Gerry Hawkridge he should be able to supply all you need.

Robin

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 18:23:55 »
Thanks Robin,

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 01:23:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin A Woolmer

Gus
   If you want a 289 set up contact Gerry Hawkridge he should be able to supply all you need.

Robin

Gus

Didn't mean to offend and talk down to you, simply didn't know where you were going with rear disc brakes.

Another lead for supply of rear discs and uprights etc etc for Cobras beside   Gerry Hawkridge is  Steve Gray of AC Heritage  /   Brooklands Motor Company,  He had a load of parts manufactured to Service / restore and maintain  MK 1/11/111 7 MK1V  Cobras.

Two seperate sources, comparison on pricing quality and delivery.

All items should be interchangeable.

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 02:04:20 »
Keith,

Absolutely no offense taken. No worries. I appreciate the leads and I will follow up on them, you've always been most helpful in offering suggestions. I apologize if my statements gave you the impression I was upset with your comments.

Thanks,

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 06:45:31 »
Keith,
   I actually thought you were going after me initially and I had not even posted any rear disc info yet. I assumed you were clairvoyant as I was planning on passing along some good (and also vague) rear disc info.
   First the good stuff;
   Gus,
   On this side of the pond these guys seem to have the parts, but I am not sure of the $$$$ involved.
   http://www.justcobras.com/ProductsPages/CobraParts.html.
   I am considering using some of their parts on 1078 but have not figured out what I would need. Now for the vague info, 1078 had rear discs on it when I bought it but I have not figured out where they came from. The stock Ace rear "T" piece has had one of the T parts cut off to accommodate the the calipers and then the rest was kludged together in a very poor manner with 4 stacks of ~10 washers used to space the rotor properly. I was attempting to go back to the Alfin drum set up initially, but I think too many parts made of unobtanium have been destroyed and have been looking at what it would take to go with rear discs. That is one of the things I have been working on that has kept me from looking into the front rotors. At this point I have 2 sets of rear calipers that came with the car that have the E-brake option, but am unsure of there original application. Over the next few months I am going to try and figure how to assemble it all and make it work. I know I will have to make some spacers ( I lost the washers so I can't re-use them[;)]) and probably need to fab a few other parts, but am not sure what I will need to do exactly. I'll keep you informed as things progress. If you would like I can also send or post pics of what I have if that will help.
   Jay
   PS From what I have seen, there is 1 very key piece (the caliper mount)that is absolutely essential for the whole thing to work, and I am not sure what application my pieces came from.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 15:09:45 »
Jay,

I have had conversation with George. He is getting up in age and I'm not sure how motivated he is to supply parts anymore. But I am definitely pursuing him on it. Another source are the Kirkhams, they sell a complete 289 original set up, but I wonder if they order it from George (just Cobras) and resell it with a mark up. At the Kohler international challenge at Road America last week I made a contact who looks promising, if that pans out to be a good source, I will share it with you. I'm getting a bunch of very helpful information from all of you and I am very appreciative. Once I have my gear together, I will post my experiences and explain how the process/installation went. It will be a slow labor of love, so don't hold your breath.
   Jay, I would love to get some of your pictures to see what the set up looks like.

In the mean time: thanks again all for your help!!

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 16:54:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Jay,

I have had conversation with George. He is getting up in age and I'm not sure how motivated he is to supply parts anymore. But I am definitely pursuing him on it. Another source are the Kirkhams, they sell a complete 289 original set up, but I wonder if they order it from George (just Cobras) and resell it with a mark up. At the Kohler international challenge at Road America last week I made a contact who looks promising, if that pans out to be a good source, I will share it with you. I'm getting a bunch of very helpful information from all of you and I am very appreciative. Once I have my gear together, I will post my experiences and explain how the process/installation went. It will be a slow labor of love, so don't hold your breath.
   Jay, I would love to get some of your pictures to see what the set up looks like.

In the mean time: thanks again all for your help!!

Gus

Gus

If you have access to Trevor Legate's  Book   COBRA  The first 40 years, there is a clear  picture of both Front and rear  Kirkham Suspension units complete with Discs and calipers, Reference Page  235.

If you haven't access to a copy, I will try to get Trevor to download a picture or two on the forum.

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 17:50:27 »
But of course I have Trevor's book! I know the picture. I have spoken with David Kirkham and he can supply the whole enchilada. However at quite some expense. (one could buy a nice new car for the cost of suspension and brakes!) So naturally I'm trying any avenue I can find.

Gus

TLegate

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 19:52:32 »
Everyone got my book - and if not, why not??????? :-)

If you need a higher-res scan of that image Gus, let me know (though I'm shortly off on holiday - I hope...)

good luck with your search.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Brakes
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 00:36:56 »
I'm good, thanks!

Gus