Author Topic: Rev counter conundrum  (Read 2259 times)

PaulAnderson

• Currently getting AE220 in fine order.
    • View Profile
Rev counter conundrum
« on: November 22, 2020, 18:31:03 »
I was wondering why my rev counter out of AE220 was marked with 2 red bands?

There are 2 rev counters in the picture. The one on the left is from a UMB Ace and the right a CL Ace (AE220)

It is a CL engine so 90hp that was fitted with pistons out of a 2 litre by the AC factory in 1973 (Eagled eyed Rod Briggs spotted this and we are replacing the with High Compression pistons).

I was wondering iff anyone can shed any light on the 2 bands? Is it because of down grading the pistons at the factory the rev band changed? I have no clue?

Any thoughts welcome.

Best wishes.

Paul

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Re: Rev counter conundrum
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 23:37:44 »
As far as I know the AC engined Ace never had a rev counter that went until 60 but always 50. The 60 version was used in the Ace-Bristol. The higher red band would be the original one for the Bristol engine and the lower one added later to make it suitable for the AC engine.
The red paint on the lower red band looks just a little bit less sharp than on the higher one.
This also makes it clear that the CL engine in your car could safely rev a little higher than the earlier UMB version on the left as the red band starts a little higher.
Just my thought. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Jerry

PaulAnderson

• Currently getting AE220 in fine order.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 03:52:41 »
That's interesting Jerry.

I have references of the 60 banded rev counter in CL, Bristol and Ruddspeed engined cars.

The 50 band on mine is hand painted (albeit very neatly). I just wonder why?

The picture attached is from an AC Cars job sheet where a previous owner of  AE220 is asking the factory to remove the Bristol AC badge in favour of the standard AC badge? Had he been trying to make his CL car look like a Bristol? Was the rev counter part of this masquerade?

Best wishes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:55:19 by PaulAnderson »

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 23:15:30 »
This note suggests that the AC Bristol badge is one badge whereas the Bristol scroll is separate from the AC badge even though it looks to be one when you are not standing close.

Jerry

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 15:47:30 »
Paul,

The lower limit is for going to the pub.

The upper limit is for returning home.

James

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 18:40:45 »
I think you may have got it the wrong way round James......