Author Topic: New AC Ace/Aceca Rear Hub Tapered Spline Conversion Kit  (Read 5852 times)

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Re: New AC Ace/Aceca Rear Hub Tapered Spline Conversion Kit
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 16:19:05 »
If you're having to retighten the rear hub nuts every couple of hundred miles then I think there is definitely something wrong!
If the tapers are lapped together & the original style keys replaced, as outlined in my earlier post, there shouldn't be any issue with normal road use.
Personally, I wouldn't replace the original castle nut & split pin as they are a long used & reliable locking method.
Just my own opinion/experience of the factors involved, others may have their own take of course.

Regards, Luke.

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 20:19:12 »
Every couple of hundred miles is exaggerating perhaps, let's say I do it once a year, which would be every 1,000 miles. I'm not suggesting the original set up is any wrong whatsoever, but between it and a clamp like on the picture I posted, to me the clamp is clearly a better solution.

AEX 31

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 21:44:02 »
I thought I should inform interested parties about my personal experience with these splined conversions. I’m aware that different parts of this have been discussed in at least two different threads.

One experience is that the rear bearings that JSW supplied didn’t last more than a couple of hundred miles. I suspect part of the reason for this is that the number of balls in the cages are a lot fewer.

Furthermore after sourcing “modern” bearings with the same specifications I have noticed that these have l more play than the original R & M bearings.

Subsequently I finally managed to get hold of some new old stock R & M LDJ 40 / 4208 bearings with brass cages and they work absolutely fine.

A another point is that I did zink-nickel plate the hubs, not on the splined area, but the rest. I did ask JSW about this and they didn’t object at all to this finish.

The last part of the experience with the rear bearings is that I have asked JSW a number of times about the reason why they switched “back” to an original castellated nut. So far without any answer given.

Regardless I would be interested to hear if anybody else on this forum has had any experience with these conversion.

Kind regards

Jonas
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 22:01:50 by AEX 31 »