Author Topic: ACE parts and a question  (Read 2036 times)

PaulAnderson

• Currently getting AE220 in fine order.
    • View Profile
ACE parts and a question
« on: November 06, 2020, 09:44:45 »
The question is: Should an ACE have an angle drive at the gearbox for a speedo cable?

I took the cable off to find the drive in the cable had sheared. Hence the bouncing speedo.
It looks like it could use an angle drive like the Triumph TRs had to get a straighter cable run at the box?
Are there any thoughts on this? If it does take an angle drive what one does it take?

The parts I need are:

1: A gearstick for the AC ACE. I thought a Healey100 stick was the one but they are very different in several ways.

2: A Terry clip that mounts on the UMB/CL engine block that holds the plastic HT lead tube in position. I need one but I'll take a pair if anyone has any?

Drop me a message if you have any parts.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul (AE220)

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: ACE parts and a question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 10:04:59 »
Paul
I thought the speedo cable came out of the rear of the gearbox, i am not aware you need an angle drive!
If you have a Moss gearbox you should be able to use a gear stick from a 2-litre car, maybe Richard Hudson can assist.
Terry clips should be available from Rod Briggs as i believe he had some made as they are quite long!

Robin

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 10:05:35 »
The Moss gearbox doesn't have an angle drive.
The normal speedo cable is quite long & should exit the drive in a big arc under the RH floor.
Rodd briggs can supply new HT conduit clips.
[url]http://www.ac-6.co.uk/spare_parts_list_six%20-%20Ignition,%20timing,%20electrical.htm/url]

Luke.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 10:09:49 »

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 16:32:11 »
Thanks Peter!

PaulAnderson

• Currently getting AE220 in fine order.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 20:36:00 »
@ Robin. Thank you. The 2 litre gearstick is incredible long and totally different to the ACE. I have looked at this. The box is also slightly different in that the clutch pedal is not connected directly to the box. PS: Love your head gaskets. I'll buying one. The moss box for the ACE has the cable connection on the right hand side so there is a bend going on with the cable to access.

@ Luke. Thanks for the clips info. I'll give Rodd a call. Yes, my cable was long and most definitely suffered from a bend.I thought an angle drive may fix the issue going forward?

Best and thanks again.

Paul.