Author Topic: Source for an ACECA Radio  (Read 4410 times)

Aceca289

• View Profile
Source for an ACECA Radio
« on: June 30, 2009, 22:01:46 »
The interior on my ACECA is progressing and I am now hunting for a radio to fill the opening. I have been doing some searching on the web and have found some reproduction radios (mainly copies of Ford and Chevy Radio’s from the 50’s and 60’s) and they seem expensive…up to $500 or more. I have also found reference to web sites offering restored radios from the period (Becker Mexico’s and Blaupunkt) also at a cost of $500 - $600 in restored condition. I would like to go with something that looks original but I’m not sure that I want a restored 60’s radio (with tubes and all). I would prefer to be able to plug in my iPod (or use a FM transmitter to connect the iPod) and have the reliability of a modern radio (that looks old).

Does anyone have an idea on what types of radios were used on the Acecas originally? I am sure it varied or might have been the buyer’s choice. And…can anyone provide any suggestions on where to source a modern radio (made to look old) or possibly a source for a reliable period radio with a FM band?

Thanks,

John

AKL 1333

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:11:21 »
Hello John,
   don´t know if you can buy it in the states but the new "Becker Mexico" looks perfect like an old Radio from the 50th or 60th and you will miss nothing it is a perfect radio with sd slot for mp3, ipod possibility and you can´t believe it a navigation systhem and gsm phone. Have it since two years and works absolut perfect and looks perfect for car from the beginning of the 60th.
   good luck
   Juergen

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:38:18 »
Juergen,
   I checked it out on-line and this unit has way more features that I need and the cost is high. I would like to get a more basic radio that will have a way to hook up the Ipod (if possible) while looking appropriate in the vintage dash.
   Thanks for the suggestion.
   John

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:02:48 »
John,
   I know of some people with other cars that kept their vintage radios in the normal location and then put a late model radio with the features they wanted in the glove box. This kept everything looking original, but allowed them to get what the radio they wanted. I know it is not the solution you were looking for, but its a thought.
   Jay

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:31:29 »
Jay,
   Good thought, although I'd still have to buy a dummy radio that looked right to fill the hole…and the glove box would be an inconvenient location in my Aceca since the only way to open it is with the key (the later Aceca’s have a push button release).
   Thanks,
   John

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:18:17 »
There are quite a few period radios on Ebay for not very much money, some work but in UK the main programs will be FM or digital soon!
   You could use as dummy front & get a modern one fitted in the case maybe?

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:21:40 »
Jay’s and Robin’s suggestions led me to research into the possibility of sourcing a hidden radio with a remote control (hey, if I can think of it...someone else has most likely invented it). Right off the bat I came up with this link.   http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm    There may be other units also available.  Now all I have to do is to find a place to hide the unit and discreet locations for quality speakers.

With this solution, I would purchase a vintage radio (on e-bay) to fill the old void for the original radio to make things look right.  Greg (aka 59 ACECA) sent me a link for nice vintage radio on e-bay...so I’m almost there.

Thanks for the help!

John

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 19:36:28 »
I do not know if you are still looking but CIP1.Com in Califoria have just announced a retro radio for about $260

'www2.cip1.com' It is Califoria Inport Parts Ltd 1124 Fir Ave.PMB 108 Blaine WA 98230

They seem to have modern internals & are fitted to retro VW's

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:04:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin A Woolmer

I do not know if you are still looking but CIP1.Com in Califoria have just announced a retro radio for about $260

'www2.cip1.com' It is Califoria Inport Parts Ltd 1124 Fir Ave.PMB 108 Blaine WA 98230

They seem to have modern internals & are fitted to retro VW's

Robin:

Thanks thinking of me. I decided to abandon the new remote (hidden) or retro radio idea for now and try my luck with a vintage unit. Your timing is uncanny! I just purchased a vintage radio a few days ago. Here is a link to an almost identical radio from the same seller on e-bay (this seller has several of these radios along with many others).   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350231030795&category=80741&_trksid=p4340.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DIT%252BSI%252BUA%252BUS-BWR%252BUCI%252BPSS%252BUCC%252BCRS%26otn%3D8%26ps%3D33
   From what I have discovered this radio was produced from 1963 – 1967 (and likely beyond with modifications). It is transistor based and has been tested (fingers crossed). I opted to avoid earlier tube based models. The interesting thing about this radio (and many others such as the Becker radios…) is that there is a 6 prong DIN plug at the back for Aux input (didn’t know they had that in the 60’s). What’s more interesting is that some clever Nerd has figured out how to use this Aux input to wire up an IPOD / MP3 or CD directly into the back of the unit. Apparently the quality of the sound through this connection is touted as being good. I suspect that means good with respect to 60’s technology! The stereo output from the IPOD is converted to mono (since this unit is mono), sooo I will have a mono system. At least that fits with the original single speaker stock arrangement that I have in my Aceca. I think I will add a few more speakers (hidden as best as possible) for a “Mono Surround System”. Wow, that sounds kind of sophisticated[:D]. I am curious to see how this all sounds when I get it hooked up. They do make a 7 pin DIN plug for slightly newer stereo radios that will retain the stereo output from the IPOD.

Here is a link to a website that Greg (AKA 59 Aceca)  sent me that sums up much of what I discovered in my research (plus some more)    http://www.jimpaul.tv/mga/mods3.htm   A Google or e-bay search for Blaupunkt  or Becker vintage radios will lead anyone to many vintage radios.

I hope this helps anyone else who might be looking to install a radio in their vintage ride.

John