Author Topic: 1937 AC Numbers Matching Drop Head Coupe for sale  (Read 2570 times)

Equipe4x4

• View Profile
1937 AC Numbers Matching Drop Head Coupe for sale
« on: July 29, 2020, 03:53:11 »
I am a UK expat, now living in the USA and have been asked the help the family clear the estate of their rather eccentric uncle who passed away earlier this year.  He collected records and owned a couple of vintage vehicles, one of which is the AC.

You may have seen my previous posts relating to the vehicle.  Thanks for your help and insight so far.  I was considering purchasing the vehicle myself, as I have a passion for old vehicles.  However, I have decided that my pockets probably aren’t deep enough for this one. She should therefore be passed on to someone that has a passion for this marque and will be able to bring her back to her former glory.

The vehicle in question is RHD and was imported to the US in September, 1976.  Therefore, she has been under the same ownership for almost 44 years!  Prior to purchase (in 1975), she was restored by a Ford engineer in the UK.  Originally the car was built for a Mrs Smith and was painted dove grey with red wheels.  All 5 wire wheels were professionally restored in 1991.  The same year, it was exhibited at Meadowbrook Concours.

The seller has a letter which details all this information and will be shared with the lucky new custodian of this rare vehicle. 
Full disclosure, the vehicle has been sitting for the last 15 years but kept in a garage undercover during this time.  It is likely therefore that she will need full recommissioning.  Further, although she still has the numbers matching engine, it has succumbed to the usual porosity issues.

A replacement rebuilt engine can be located for £15K in the UK.  Alternatively, it could be rebuilt for slightly less.  Further, I have been pointed to a company in Portland, Oregon, by an owner of 5 ACs in the US, that could do the same.
I conducted a Google search by the number plate and to my surprise, I found an article from 1956 where the car had been listed for sale (see attached).

The aim is to list the vehicle on Bringatrailer in the USA.  Once that happens, I’ll let you all know.

If however, you may be interested in advance of the auction, please let me know.

Thanks, Konrad

Equipe4x4

• View Profile

nikbj68

• View Profile
Re: 1937 AC Numbers Matching Drop Head Coupe for sale
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:08:21 »
That is GORGEOUS!

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Re: 1937 AC Numbers Matching Drop Head Coupe for sale
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 19:51:17 »
This Car looks a very nice car to purchase & must be very rare to find in such cherished condition, the engine work might cost slightly more than indicated, but it will be worth it as i would expect minimal work needed to recommission the car.
A nice to have car.

Robin