Author Topic: Visit to Club stand at Silverstone  (Read 11340 times)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
Visit to Club stand at Silverstone
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:29:35 »
To hopefully encourage club members to visit the AC club stand with their cars, over the weekend of the Silverstone Classic event I have asked my good friend and ex-Cobra team driver Jack Sears if he would visit us. Despite a very busy schedule he has agreed. If any member has not met Jack I suggest you take this opertunity, not only is he a true gentleman and very charming but has driven more famous Cobras than you can shake a stick at. Despite being 78 years young his recall of races/events back in the 60's is amazing.
   As soon as I know exactly which day and a probable time I will add this to the post
   best wishes
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 00:19:20 »
Nice One Alan.

Hopefully Jack Sears will be available on Saturday,  Will be nice to touch base with the man who has promoted the AC Marque for many decades with such enthusiasm, A Genuine Gentleman!

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 22:18:20 »
Thought I`d share this fantastic pic of C.S & J.S at the Haynes 'Cobra Day' from 2004:

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:25:02 »
I have just been given a small number of extra tickets to the event by Eric Gates, thank you Eric. If anybody would like a pair please let me know asap and I'll try to get them to you,
   faulknerstevens@btinternet.com

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 21:20:52 »
I have just spoken with Jack and he hopes to come and see the AC stand on Saturday at around 1.15pm. It will only be a quick visit but he does want to see the cars.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:31:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Faulkner-Stevens

I have just spoken with Jack and he hopes to come and see the AC stand on Saturday at around 1.15pm. It will only be a quick visit but he does want to see the cars.

Alan

" Bloody Well Done "

Only attended the club stand on Saturday, A really great day, left the Ace in good company amongst ACs ranging from the 1930s to early 2000s and disappeared around the circuit, into the various pits to view the Group C cars, the touring cars and racing GTs,  great to see the Cobras well represented. ( Well done Ollie...  2nd O/A,  another few laps and it would have been 1st)

Bumped into dozens of AC and Racing friends around the circuit and
   in various grand stands, returned to the AC stand / Area to  meet up with Jack Sears who kindly signed one of my Cobra books.

You then produce your trump card and amongst the ACs is the 1965  Willment Coupe (CSX3055?) desinged for John Willment based on the Ghia body fitted in 1955 to Alfa Romeo and Fiat.  A car I have always wanted to see but never thought possible.

Glad to hear it is now fully sorted, handles and runs just as good as it looks, ( "beauty is in the eye of the beholder ")  Maybe some one, with free access to the car and the knowledge can produce an article for ACtion.

All in all a great day where I OD'd on ACs, Classic Cars and Racing,   ALAN,  Thanks for pulling everything together, A hard act to follow for 2010, but you have the skills and 12 months (about 50 weeks) to prepare.

Keith

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 12:23:58 »
Alan.

Thank you for you help and organisation at the Silverstone Classic stand and I hope you have figured out what is afflicting your car..   I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Sears.  He is the Chairman of the Ferrari owners club and had brought over their chiefs to see some real cars!  One of them ( who is described as the "Bernie Ecclestone of the FOC") is an old colleague of mine who seemed to take offense to the suggestion that they drive "pouffy" cars.

As Keith says it was amazing to see the Willment Ghia.  It is truly incredible.  Have sent some snaps to Terry at ACtion and will also send some to Nik (who seems to be one of the few people who knows how to upload photos to this site).   Turns out that the owner lives about 10 minutes from me so hopefully we can arrange to take some proper shots at some stage.  Trevor Legate is due to be photographing it this Tuesday so presumable it will be featured in his next upcoming Cobra book.

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:24 »
Thanks to Alan F.-S. and Eric Gates for supporting three great days at Silverstone! Thanks to Billericay Marc, because it brought tears into my eyes to see the sheer beauty of his car. Thanks for the sound check as well. Thanks to Jackie and Jack giving my daughter the opportunity for a ride on the track! Thanks to Nik and Aaron and all the guys turning up in Silverstone and bringing faces to names. Last not least thanks to Gentleman Jack giving the opportunity to meet him again at Silverstone.

Michael

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 13:03:19 »
Thanks to all for a truly memorable weekend, and indeed making it possible for me to attend!
   It has been great to put faces to names, see amazing cars & meet some racing greats, photos to follow shortly.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 20:39:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by 1984MkIV

Thanks to Alan F.-S. and Eric Gates for supporting three great days at Silverstone! Thanks to Billericay Marc, because it brought tears into my eyes to see the sheer beauty of his car. Thanks for the sound check as well. Thanks to Jackie and Jack giving my daughter the opportunity for a ride on the track! Thanks to Nik and Aaron and all the guys turning up in Silverstone and bringing faces to names. Last not least thanks to Gentleman Jack giving the opportunity to meet him again at Silverstone.

Michael

A big thanks to you also Michael for bringing over some great German beer !! It was nice to meet up and have a chat. it was nice to speak to some other members also , it would have been nice to meet Jack Sears, but so much to see so much too do ![:)]

It nearly brought a tear to my eye also seeing the Willment Cobra.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 20:41:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Thanks to all for a truly memorable weekend, and indeed making it possible for me to attend!
   It has been great to put faces to names, see amazing cars & meet some racing greats, photos to follow shortly.

Nick , I guess we will be seeing alot more of you down South , your definatly bitten by the bug !......[^]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 22:06:12 »
Cobra-Sorcerer Nik has retired to his mountain lair once more.....his apperances in the Englishe Landes are a matter of legend. He was not at Silverstone, it was merely a hologram (or a 'replica' to his friends!)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 22:11:37 »
Silverstone ...

... only here for the beer?

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 22:20:34 »
*****cat Nicoll posing for Ham

and so much better, Carlos Santana, a delight on his guitar: