Author Topic: Overdrive engage/disengage  (Read 3179 times)

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Overdrive engage/disengage
« on: June 15, 2009, 00:36:18 »
My AC powered Aceca has the stock Moss transmission with optional factory overdrive.  I've had the car a couple of years now and have often wondered if the "bump" I sometimes feel when the overdrive is engaged and/or disengaged is normal.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Greg

bobbylangley

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 18:34:11 »
My Greyhound has overdrive and feels the same. I just dip the clutch before engaging/disengaging and that seems to do the trick

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 22:36:12 »
Thanks for feedback and the suggestion.

Greg

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:56:11 »
Greg - I have an MGB GT with the overdrive, and I agree with the above, the 'bump' is absolutely normal if engaging/disengaging without the clutch. Like Bobby, I have taken to dipping the clutch briefly when engaging/disengaging.

Peter
Peter B.

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:10:38 »
Thanks Peter.  Great to know that everything is functioning properly.  I'm going to be a clutch dipper from now on!

Greg

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:35:04 »
I had an MGB GT V8 (factory version) before. I remember engaging the overdrive was very quick and quite smooth, disengaging a bit slower and with a small bump. This may however be caused by the condition of the overdrive unit. The car being a 1974 model may not be totally comparable to an Aceca or Greyhound since it has very probably a later type of overdrive.

Jerry