Author Topic: Tyres for Ace/ Aceca  (Read 12116 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« on: March 26, 2007, 19:53:35 »
As my Aceca project is moving on and to the assembly stage I would like to ask the racers among you what tyres you're running. I have a set of brand new Dayton wires (15x5.5) to mount them on. The car originally had 16 inchers. The total circumference of the old wheels and tires was 27 inches. Some of the brands I've been looking at are 25 inches or even 24.5. Any suggestions? I don't want to have the thing look silly with the appearance of having mounted wheels off a Mini!!

Thanks for the help.

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:29:56 »
Gus
   I think you have quoted overall diameter as circumferance will be 3.142 times the diameter!
   Don't forget this has a significant effect on final gearing ratio & your speedo calibration?
   Have you contacted the tire manufacturers for there recommendations?
   How is the engine buid going?

Regards

Robin

jbottini

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 13:38:12 »
Gentlemen, I think there is some confusion between circumfrance and diameter, but non the less, if you have the deminsions most good tire sites like tire rack will give rim width, tread at ground width, rolling circumference as well as diameter and overall tire width (sidewall to sidewall).

nikbj68

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 15:27:13 »
My Dad used to run 15" on the road & 16" for racing in period, whether that affects your choices for use or not, I don`t know?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 17:11:25 »
Thanks for the info guys. Of course I mean diameter. And certainly I'm aware of the possible effect on final gearing. It just seemed such a large difference to me. I was curious what other people's experience was with this. The reason I chose 15 inch wheels is because tyre choice is extremely limited and very costly in a 16 version. Maybe that's the difference I will have to deal with. As originally they were offered with both 15's and 16's, does anyone know of the diameter difference to be present in the day?

Thanks

PS: Robin, thanks for the parts. the con rods finally came through customs. The clearance on them looks to be just right, so I believe everything will go together well!!

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 19:04:52 »
Gus
   I believe AVON Tyres UK have supplied tires for the Aceca wheels, they are now part of Cooper Tires, i will contact them tomorrow & ask there recommendations for your car, what actual use do you require them to do? Track only or combination of road/track?
   Robin

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 01:06:39 »
Robin,

It will be road and track use. Mostly road though.

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Tyres for Ace/ Aceca
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 13:10:49 »
Gus
   It Would appear that the best tire for fast road use for the Aceca is the original Michelin 'X' pattern tyre '550R-16-175/80-16 X'the tyre width is said to give the correct clearance for the fenders. You would need to check with the rules for tire use for racing to ensure they are acceptable, the web site for Vintage tyres in UK might assist as they have several manufacturers tires available ' www.vintagetyres.com ' they have good experiance for most of the older cars a guy to contact is Chris Marchan.
   I hope this assists & perhapse other owners can comment on this!
   Regards

Robin