Author Topic: Grille construction question  (Read 5307 times)

AC Bill

• View Profile
Grille construction question
« on: July 30, 2010, 18:14:02 »
Can anyone please describe to me how the original grills on the Aces, or Bristols were constructed? Even better if you have any pictures, or links to good close up pictures showing this!

I am curious as to how the horizontal and vertical slats were fastened to the outer rim, as well as how the grille itself was fastened to the body. Also wondered at what point the outer rim ends were joined togeather, how the vertical and horizontal slats were bound togeather, or cut to fit, also any sizeing for the slat widths, etc..

I am going to attempt to fabricate one for my vehicle and although the size will be different, (427 mouth) I hoped to get it similar in appearance to the original style.

Any help in this matter appreciated. Thanks, Bill

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 18:46:36 »
Nobody? Even a close up picture would do..

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 19:03:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Bill

Can anyone please describe to me how the original grills on the Aces, or Bristols were constructed? Even better if you have any pictures, or links to good close up pictures showing this!

I am curious as to how the horizontal and vertical slats were fastened to the outer rim, as well as how the grille itself was fastened to the body. Also wondered at what point the outer rim ends were joined togeather, how the vertical and horizontal slats were bound togeather, or cut to fit, also any sizeing for the slat widths, etc..

I am going to attempt to fabricate one for my vehicle and although the size will be different, (427 mouth) I hoped to get it similar in appearance to the original style.

Any help in this matter appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Bill

The original Ferrari style Ace grill was constructed in Brass then Chrome plated, later units made in Aluminium and polished and laquered.

Both versions are available from  "Classic Autos Ltd"
   10, High Street,  Kings Langley, Hertfordshire,  WD4 8HB.  ENGLAND.

Tel/Fax  0044(0) 1923  262 994 .. .. Aubrey Finsburgh

If you sent a template I daresay Aubrey would custom build you one to fit the apperature of your Ace - Cobra.
   Obviously bespoke  work is more expensive, however you know it will fit, assuming your template was accurate.

Cheers

Keith  [;)]

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 00:41:02 »
Bill, I dug out the original grille from AEX125 (brass style) and took some pics this afternoon. If you can send me an e-mail address, I will forward them to you. Is your car the one that was sold at auction a couple of years ago in Oregon or Washington? The one I am thinking of had wide rear fenders in addition to the 427 opening and was maybe red. I think there was another Ace or Aceca for sale from the same person.

Jay

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:01:36 »
Jay That wasn't me, this is my first and only!

I sent you my email address. I really appreciate the pictures. Good pictures are worth a thousand words in trying to describe their construction..Thanks![:)]

Kieth, I imagine that the custom made grilles you speak of could be very expensive if they are like the others replacement ones I've seen for sale.[:0]
   I have already planned to do mine in stainless steel. I have purchased the flat steel already, and planed on getting it run through a metal brake to give it a little lip at the front. I'm just not sure about the outer rim that all the grille slats fit to. How they are attached to that for instance, and how in turn the grille itself is mounted to the body. IE brackets behind the grille top and bottom, or at the sides etc..or if the outer rim is simply screwed on to the body with nuts and bolts, or self-tapping screws..

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 17:43:49 »
Hi Bill, I will send pics later tonight, but here is the Ace I was thinking of;

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/car-reviews/english/1403-1959-ac-ace-cobra-roadster/

I do not agree with the write up, but thought it might be your car as it is the only one I have seen with a 427 grill opening.
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:15:45 »
I believe Bill is building a Factory Five Racing Roadster kit, not restoring an original (modified) Ace as Jay seems to think...

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:12:28 »
Jerry,
   While I thought it was an Ace, it makes no difference in the end. Glad to help out where I can.
   Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:25:44 »
Bill,

I am in Vancouver and if it is of any value, I would be happy to show you the grill construction of my Ace when you are next on the Mainland. My Email is jp7025@shaw.ca

Jonathan Parker

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 18:37:42 »
Thanks for the grille pictures Jay! It would be quite a job trying to fabricate one without special tools and equipment. I think I will opt for a look alike, of much simpler construction.

Jonathan, Thanks for the offer of the "look see" of your grille. I do get to Vancouver from time to time, and would love to look at your ACE in the flesh.
   I don't suppose you know where or who, ended up with the ACE (or AC Bristol), that was getting a restoration estimate at XJ Motors a few years back? I know Vancouver is a big city, but I thought the AC owners may have contact with one another there.
   The car I saw there apparently sold for $6000, as the owner who took it in for the estimate didn't want to spend the money to restore it..so the story goes. I kick myself for not having contacted the owner myself when I first saw it, as I never dreamed he would sell it, especially for that price..such is life..