Author Topic: Reunited with Bex 136  (Read 3230 times)

DaveW124

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« on: September 16, 2011, 16:04:19 »
As I mentioned in a previous post I was trying to hunt down an AC Ace Bristol that I had been taken for a ride in late 60's when I was a teenager.  Well with the help of this forum I was able to locate the car, still with the same owner and was able to go for a ride in it.  It was just as I had remembered - such a beautiful growl. Here are few detail that may be important for the registry.  The car, which was originally off white was repainted by the original owner because wife hated white.  It was painted red at that time and has remained red ever since even when restored back in the 90's.  The present owner has had the car since 1957 and replaced the original engine in the early years of ownership due to internal damage. The present engine is 100 D2 #1128.  Bill Carter, the owner has made a few modifications to the car over the years including some frame rail reinforcements around the doors and some integrated rain gutters behind the seats in order to channel the rain away from going down the back of the cockpit behind the seats.

I have some pictures of the car but am not sure how to post pics here (they are quite large pics) so if I can send them along to someone else on this site who could post them for me that would be great.  The present owner is Bill Carter of Waterloo Ontario and his email is bill@cartergroup.org  He said that it is fine for the register to contact him for further details and history of the car.

Thanks again for everyones help in helping me to once again find this car and to fulfill a longtime dream to once again experience the thrill of it all.

Dave Wilson
   Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada

nikbj68

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 19:40:52 »
Photos for & on behalf of Dave:

Bill Carter with BEX 136:

Check out the funky rain gutters!!!

DOOR AND UPPER CHASSIS REINFORCEMENT BRACES TO PREVENT BODY CRACKING:

Bristol...Yum!

Thanks for sharing this with us, Dave!!! Fantastic.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 19:55:58 »
Dave.

Nice to see  that BEX136 is alive and firing on all six cylinders.

Novel rain gutters to stop water pouring down the rear bulkhead.

When washing BEX333 I tend to push on some sponge pipe lagging which stops most water pouring into the cockpit. However the interior is well past its sell by date.

However for those who have good interior it is  worth carrying a couple of 300/350mm lengths of foam pipe cladding/insulation, Especially with the long boot version of Ace as rain water cascades in even with the pram hood erect.

Great photos Dave,  and thank you " Nik " for your posting skills.

Keith...[:)]...[:)].

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 20:34:00 »
Keith,

Somehow I have a feeling those rain gutters would not do you any good...

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 21:02:35 »
Gus.

Just wished I had put on some water proofs,  Luckily I did have spare clothes for the weekend.

Makes you wonder Who , Where and When these pictures are taken, always suprises me when someone emails or posts me a picture of BEX333 being used, especially if it originates from another continent.

I do recollect some one hairing past me and the flash of his camera, but who took it?  Heaven knows??.  Good picture though  and appreciated.

Keith....[:p]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 22:01:34 »
It was Duggan... He posted it on the ACOC national day thread...

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 01:42:23 »
Gus.

Appreciate it was Duggan,  But how did he come across the picture within hours of it being taken by some complete stranger, who had no obvious / connection with ACOC and from a totally unconnected web site.[?]

The internet and modern technology makes for a small world with instant information across the globe.

Keith...[:)]

Jim A

• View Profile
Reunited with Bex 136
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 18:56:23 »
This early, long-owned and nearly original Ace is spectacular in ways that restorations can't match.  And it makes me miss the one I lost to fire twenty years ago much more than any I've seen in years.
   Great story for both gentlemen.  Thanks.