Author Topic: How to sell an Ace Bristol racer?  (Read 3476 times)

shep

• View Profile
How to sell an Ace Bristol racer?
« on: April 09, 2015, 18:16:55 »
Since I bought David Emmans' Ace a year ago, I have been thinking about selling my Blue Ace Bristol, and wondering whether to have all the cosmetic imperfections sorted out and fit new carpets etc. Over the past 10 years in my hands, it has been a fabulous race car, has enjoyed numerous 50s sports cars wins and podiums, and I believe still holds the Ace record at the ACOC Goodwood Sprint. The mechanicals are spot on and it has a Steve Stanton state of the art engine which has only competed in half a dozen races since the last full rebuild. Strangely I have never applied for HTPs for this car, but it would purely be a formality to get them. The question is whether any potential buyer would prefer to race it as it is, or have it beautified for road/race use. I don't know whether the sort of person who buys a race car, expects it to be concours as well. After all I bought David's Ace in bare aluminium and everyone tells me not to paint it! What do you think?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 19:11:35 »
   Andy.

Keep it as it is, Who ever buys it can enjoy I and personalise it as seems fit and too meet their requirements......TOOOOO MANY Ace Bristol's  are over restored and become Sterile having lost their character and charm.[V]..
   Personally I don't think it makes a lot of difference to price, what you spend to tidy your Ace up,  wont necessarily  add to value.

That's my two penneth for what it's worth, mind you I really must do the seats on BEX333.

Keith..[;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 22:46:29 »
Ditto all of that, with 2 exceptions!
   Selling wth the FiA HTP might appeal to prospective racers as 'one less thing to do', and the other thing is Keith... leave your seats alone!
   Get a spare set! (preferably waterproof, you are TheRainGod, after all!)

Not wishing to blow too much smoke up there... [;)] anyone knowing you will know that all the mechanicals will be in A1 shape, and that any battlescars should be seen as badges of honour rather than imperfections, so the cosmetics will be to personal taste...let the buyer decide.
   So that`s four penneth you have now! (Or maybe I should save my pennies for another lottery ticket?!)

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 16:56:03 »
Shep I think you should call me and let me sell your Ac Bristol for you.  I've got a long list of ready buyers.  Kelly

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 17:42:59 »
Shep - Definitely leave the car exactly as it is.  That increases your buying market considerably.  This way it will appeal to a buyer that is looking for a restoration project (that hopefully he will drive in historic events) and the buyer that is not looking for a trailer queen but looking for an awesome race car to actually drive.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 17:46:10 »
Thanks for the advice, and sorry if I've been a while coming back. I spoke to a couple of Auction Houses, and they want it back to Road Spec to appeal to the biggest audience. They don't seem to understand that the difference with my Ace is the Stanton Engine, and the 10 years race development. She really does fly, and on the same tyres will beat any other Ace Bristol I know. Kelly if you are serious, please send me a Private Message.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 20:23:35 »
Thanks Shep.  I have sent you a private message.