Author Topic: rear end clunk  (Read 7078 times)

lew

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:05:03 »
Greg you asked me to let you know if I found my rear end "clunk"
   At last I think I have
   I checked from the outside to the inside> IE the hub to wheel splines -fine CV joints -fine ,drive shaft splines-fine,splines coming out of the diff -fine.Pulled the diff out and checked the CWP end float- fine.
   Put the whole lot back again and it still went "clunk".Very discouraged so I parked it for a long while.
   Got another rush of enthusiasm the other day and pulled the diff yet again,not a pleasant job at my age !
   This time I stripped the diff and found the problem.Spider or planet gears.They work with bronze cupped thrust washers that are worn allowing a LOT of backlash. The problem  is that no spares seem to be available for ENV diffs and these cupped washers are difficult to make from phosphor bronze.
   However under the internally splined out put shafts that bear on the gears is a large flat thrust washer. I am now machining new ones to space them out further to engage the gears better and get the backlash correct.
   Hopefully all will be well.
   Perhaps you have a similar problem
   Will keep you posted if it fixes mine

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:05 »
Lew
   We are in the process of overhauling some diffs which have the same wear problem with the cupped washers, maybe the Club Spares should have a batch made for stock!

Robin

lew

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:53:22 »
Robin,
   I think that would be a great idea as ALL of our diffs have done large mileages by now and spider gears are often overlooked or even ignored as I TRIED to do with mine
   Lew

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:38:08 »
Have asked Stephen Hall to consider having a batch made for Club Spares, we will see what happens?

Robin

shep

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 13:51:41 »
Hi Robin, We had the ACOC AGM last night up in London, but Steve was not able to attend. No doubt he will be investigating the supply of cupped washers following your request. At the meeting it was made clear that one of the Club's priorities is to enable members to keep their ACs on the road. Obviously where components are being made commercially, there is no need for us to spend club funds on replicating those parts. However if specific parts are not available (as has happened with 3000ME gears, Vintage water pump drive bushes, and many other parts) the ACOC is prepared to commission a batch for the benefit of its members. Steve is the best man to speak to, but I am always happy to help if needed. Andy

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 14:20:28 »
Andy
   Have also spoken to James Harris of (now) Bristol Engineering who has agreed to consider making a batch as he has made these for diffs already, so maybe Steve should coordinate with James
   Hopefully we will get a good result between them.

Robin

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 16:08:47 »
I suppose someone has confirmed that Volvo have no more ENV spares? The 122 was I suppose the last Volvo using this diff' and although the crownwheel and pinion are for a different ratio and it is built into a live axle I should guess that the differential gears and distance pieces/thrust washers would be the same ?

lew

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 20:30:34 »
That looks like it Graham.I dont know what material these are made from but it doesnt look like bronze.
   I am ordering 4 to see what they are about and will let you know

Lew

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 22:01:11 »
Lew
   Would you be good enough to give the dimensions of these washers as i believe similar ones are used on TR 4&6 axles also on some tractors, so we might well be able to source them, also there are various thicknesses available!

Robin

lew

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:51 »
Robin
   mine all vary due to wear,however aprox 16.5 mm bore and 39mm od. Obviously they were 5/8" bore etc originally,thickness now aprox .020"
   Lew

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:53 »
Lew
   Thanks for dimensions, i will try to get size information for the TR axles etc, what i have found is that there are several thicknesses of washers available to take up the wear & obtain the correct gear position but all seem to be just over 1mm thick.
   I do have some diffs in repair so will also get more information this end.
   Thanks for help.

Robin

lew

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:23:44 »
Some additional info for those who might be undertaking an ENV diff rebuild
   The CWP backlash is .008"
   To set carrier bearing pre load
   Tighten adjuster rings until there is no sideways movement of the CW.
   Then advance each adjuster one further notch and lock in place.
   An adjuster ring is threaded 16 TPI and there are 20 notches per ring,thus one notch equates to a movement of .003125" so if both are moved the pre load is .0065".
   Of course it would never work to exactly that due to the starting position.

A thought on why these bronze bushes wear so badly
   I wonder if people have used the more common GL5 gear oil in diffs instead of GL4,after all they are far more freely available
   The GL5 gear oil additives are known to attack soft metals such as brass and bronze etc

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 11:35:45 »
Lew
   I have found two sources for these but they are different sizes
   Source one has some 1.5'' O/D ,5/8''+ I/D & Approx 0.032'' thick, i am getting four samples of these.
   Source two has 1.3'' O/D 5/8'' I/d & various thicknesses from 0.027 up to 0.070'' + which are for TR cars
   Hopefully some of these might be used but will investigate further when i have the first samples.
   We may be in luck!

Robin

lew

• View Profile
rear end clunk
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 17:21:04 »
Robin
   My guess is that the 1.5 is correct as mine might have spread as they got thin thru pressure.
   I ordered 4 from the site Graham mentioned but they advised a few minutes ago that they are out of stock.
   I have cancelled my order with them ,waiting to hear from you
   Lew