Author Topic: Racing screen?  (Read 2953 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Racing screen?
« on: June 06, 2015, 20:18:57 »
Now that I have the windshield off to replace it, I'm kind of digging the sportier look the car has without it. Does anyone know who might make a full-width plexi racing screen that I could install with no modification, so I could go back to the original version whenever I want?
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing screen?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:32:29 »
   Peter

AC Heritage,  Nigel Winchester and Aubrey Finsburgh all produce wrap round Perspex / plexiglass screen, however these three units are mounted on aluminium frame which in turn is either riveted to  the scuttle and doors or could be secured by via a series of rivnuts.
   This form of screen is designed to stay in situ and is not really designed to be retrofitted as and when required.

My racing bubble is held on via a series of rivnuts and takes just a few minutes to fit and remove,  My standard screen takes 5 minutes to remove and a little longer to refit.  I have fabricated four brackets which secure the standard frame by four brass wing nuts,  this method of fitting has proved secure over the past 14 years and some 50,000 miles...[;)]

Can supply photo and dimensions if required, will email a few pictures of various Ace Bristol with racing screen within next 24 hours.

Keith..[:)]

justnow

• View Profile
Racing screen?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:44:17 »
Sounds great. Can you send me some pictures of your method of fitting please. Schmid.timothy@gmail.com thanks a lot

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Racing screen?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:22 »
Gerry Hawkridge has a racing screen which for the driver only so has less wind resistance than a full width screen, he makes left & right hand drive versions Hawk Cars Ltd UK.

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing screen?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 15:01:42 »
   Robin

Peter is looking for a wrap round system , Have sent him various pictures of Aces suitably kitted out, plus photos of various Aces fitted with cut down standard frame and fabricated cut down side screens.

Also sent picture of BEX333 wearing a racing Bubble, However feed back indicates full width racing screen preferred.

If  a full width screen is used for FIA/ MSA events technically it must comply with a minimum vertical height, which many of the scrutineer's usually overlook or are they simply not fully conversant with their own regulations..[?]

Keith..

pjbowman

• View Profile
Racing screen?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:44:32 »
Thanks all!
Peter B.