Author Topic: AK1013  (Read 3105 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
AK1013
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:48 »
I was looking for some MKIV history, and I found that link about AK1013 :

http://www.russoandsteele.com/past-collector-car/1984-AC-Cobra-MK-IV-B/2034

I read some time ago that mister Muck said he sold this car new, so its history may be well known, but I thought the info was interesting [;)]..

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK1013
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 00:36:24 »
Ah yes, 013.

This was the first AC MK IV we bought from Brian. He had sent it to Ford in Dearborn to "prime" the pump and encourage help from Ford in the certification of the cars. When I purchased it for our dealership it was painted "Ford 'blue oval' blue" which in reality was a Toyota color Brian had found.....and it was UGLY!!!

The car was powered by a 351 installed by Roush that was a truck engine with a four barrel carb and intake added....likely no more than 275 HP at best, but a lot in those days. The tan seats were really tatty so Brian sent me two new seats and the seats from 013 went to a good friend for his kit car to be dyed black.

I sold the car to Larry Hardin of "Autokraft of Oregon" who wanted to be a sub-dealer for the cars. Larry promised Brian and myself taht he could sell 2 cars per month in Oregon alone! This

Larry sold the car on to a person who modified the car greatly to something more akin to a MK III. I next saw the car in a "Super Ford" magaine article that told of its history as the "Only AC MK IV factory competition car" that was "specially built for Edsel Ford" and a lot more bull****e drivel!

Over the years I have been asked a couple of times about the car and I always tell this story. NO, it is NOT a "comp" car, NO it was not owned by Edsel and NO it did not have a killer engine, floor pivoted pedals, roll bars, etc., etc.

Just like the car I sold to Frank Weber, Billy Joel's manager and then brother-in-law that was later resold several times as the "Billy Joel AC MK IV" just because Billy got it in the lawsuit he had against Frank. I don't know if Billy ever even SAW the car!

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK1013
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:48:33 »
Crap!

I just read the bull Russo and Steele are spewing about this car! All bull!!!!

Trevor...help me here..............

French Frie

• View Profile
AK1013
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21:23 »
Rick, thanks for your input, as clear as possible as always [;)] ! does anybody knows where AK1013 is now ?

PS: if I'd ever sell AK1113, could I say that Rick Muck has put his #ss on the seats [:o)] ? it may add value ...

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK1013
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

Rick, thanks for your input, as clear as possible as always [;)] ! does anybody knows where AK1013 is now ?

PS: if I'd ever sell AK1113, could I say that Rick Muck has put his #ss on the seats [:o)] ? it may add value ...

I rather doubt it without certification from Mr. Legate...............

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1013
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 14:21:06 »
It seems the car was converted to race spec but certainly did not leave the factory as such! Whether the info supplied to SAAC for the Registry is accurate or not, I have no idea. The fact that it was 'given' to Esdel Ford seems a little unusual, shall we say....?

Mark IV

• View Profile
AK1013
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 23:27:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

It seems the car was converted to race spec but certainly did not leave the factory as such! Whether the info supplied to SAAC for the Registry is accurate or not, I have no idea. The fact that it was 'given' to Esdel Ford seems a little unusual, shall we say....?

Trust me ,it was not "given" to anyone! I paid for it after Ford used it some. I do have the original script and slides that Edsel presented to the executive committee at Ford to gain approval for the involvement in the MK IV project.

When I was last at Brooklands in 1999 I found the original build sheet and invoices in the "good book" as well as a photo of the car at an auto show and myself looking dapper standing in front of it in a tuxedo during a preview party.