Author Topic: Mk I 428 body restoration/ New Mk II 428 ?  (Read 13407 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Mk I 428 body restoration/ New Mk II 428 ?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 11:14:09 »
quote:
Andy Shepherd made moulds from an original to build the lightweight composite (fibreglass? - not sure what it's made of) body shell for his fearsome black 428 racer. If someone asks nicely he might make another! I understand the car has been out on the track again recently for the first time in quite a while.

Great ! This could be the first step, also boosting Club funds and membership at the same time.

Then, keeping it all in house would there be any possibilities of producing (via Andy ?) the world's first aluminium 428 body with all the latest Cobra running gear ? [:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 13:51:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus
   ....As for the pic I added "Aluminium Ace Body" into my Photobucket file as I'd forgotten the original name ! [:I] I'd run a quick Google search and found it on http://www.ndmetal.co.uk/the_cobra_gallery_NC.php

A very interesting find! I can`t believe I`ve not stumbled across that site during my googlings!
   As for an all Ali 428, what a gorgeous idea, but I`d bet it would have to be a personal labour of love (along the lines of "Coupé Chuck`s Build" rather than a viable commercial enterprise.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 21:21:09 »
Overall I feel it's because the 428 has always been my top favourite car and brought me so much pleasure and enjoyment for so long, why I'm trying to come up with some sort of permanent tribute to Derek in return. And as he must surely have been bitterly disappointed after so much effort and through no fault of his own to be forced to abandon his personal project with only 80 or so produced, why an all aluminium luxury Mk II 428 with all the latest Cobra running gear seems the most fitting one possible. So once a few fibreglass lightweight 428's are up and running hopefully it might then all be possible ?

Better than just letting him drift off into obscurity really….