Author Topic: AC Ace Bristol's at Le Mans 24hr... 57-62  (Read 96500 times)

Louism

• View Profile
AC Ace Bristol's at Le Mans 24hr... 57-62
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2011, 18:37:52 »
If you read some different posts concerning BEX 289, Alain Larive the french owner from the early eighties told us the car was owned in the seventies by a Swiss named Michel Bricod.

We had to find this man.

A Swiss fan found for me Michel Bricod in a local phone book saying it could be the right person, so I tried to call.
   When I asked him if he used to have an Ace Bristol, the man said...YES !

Michel Bricod was 22 when he purchased BEX 289 in 1969. He had before a MGA and as a famous british driver from the fifties who recently gave up competition, his main motivations were cars and crumpets !
   What was the symbol of power to be successful in those challenges...The AC Cobra. Michel told me a couple of true 427 could be seen in Switzerland by the late sixties, so he had to drive in an AC.
   Mister Stauffer from Garage Saint Christophe in Lausanne sold him BEX 289. Of course he told Bricod the car had a race history at Le Mans but it was not realy to increase the value, anyway Stauffer did not forget to tell the young man if he could find some sand in the rev counter it was because the car went off the road in the sand bank at Mulsanne during the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Which was true ! Except it was in Arnage and if you remember, Georges Gachnang hurt his head and had to give the wheel to the reserve driver Gretener.
   Anyway Michel bought BEX 289 for an amount hard to believe today but it was quite an effort for the 22 years man.

Michel Bricod was disappointed with his Le Mans Ace. I think it was quite successful for girlies but very uncomfortable for the driver, hard, hot...A long cantilever at the front due to the modified body made impossible to drive every day without damaging the car.
   In fact, the car was not made for a street utilisation (it makes me think to BEX 1205 today...)

For some reasons Michel Bricod had to leave Switzerland for Brazil a year later in 1970, the car was then stored in Geneva at Garage de l'Aviation near airport. When he came back two years later in 1972, BEX 289 was still there surrounded by high vegetation.
   You must remember Georges Gachnang said he remembers seeing his AC in a Geneva workshop in 1972 or 73.

In conclusion...Michel Bricod is not the man behind what we call the "Drogo" modification but he was so pleased to talk with me about the good time when he had an Ace Bristol.

We have now to find later in between 1972 and 1976.

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2011, 19:18:32 »
When I was writing recently I will give you some important news about BEX 289, I was not talking about Michel Bricod episode. [;)]

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:09 »
As you understood, I have a revelation about the Gachnang's Le Mans Ace.
   Bertrand and I will visit Georges Gachnang at Aigle in Switzerland by october 21st. That was the time I chose to give the news about BEX 289, the "missing" 1960 Le Mans Ace.

The information came quicker than I have expected.

I can write it now...

BEX 289 is back, bought by a french to be entered at the next Le Mans Classic 2012. The car is in Biarritz and I will post pictures as soon as possible.

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2011, 01:10:50 »
Alain Larive is the first to give us some pictures of the car.

Ladies and gentlemen here is....BEX 289 !

Some comments later...

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2011, 11:48:16 »
Louis.

Great Photograps and  a really "Brilliant Thread" !!.

Congratulations on your success in locating  BEX289 and so much information on the various Ace that ran in Period at Le Mans  24 hrs.

A very well sculptured and beautifully proportioned Ace.  ..  ..  Zagato and Pininfarina could only agree !!.[:p]

Look forward to future installments, In the meantime could you please email me high resolution copy of both pictures for my pictorial reference library ..  ..  ..  ..
   much  appreciated..[;)].

See you, Bertrand and French Party at Goodwood Revival ..  ..  (Sunday 18th September).

Cheers 4 Now.

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:40 »
Thank's Keith,

I am looking forward for the Revival and hoping weather will be nice.

- BEX 289 was the first production Ace fitted with front disc brakes.
   - Not only the body has been modified by the Gachnangs, we had to wait late 1964 to see the first coil spring Cobra. It was made in 1960 on Ace Bristol (no I don't forget LM5000 in 58 but it was a different chassis)...

As you can see BEX 289 was stored for years before today.
   Picture Alain Larive

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2011, 22:07:59 »
As you read a few posts ago, BEX 289 has a race history apart from Le Mans.

Thanks to Alain Larive and Lutz Montowski again, you can see here some period pictures from local Swiss Hill Climbs.

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2011, 22:13:24 »
BEX 289 took all our interest during the last weeks but Alain Larive, former owner of the ex Le Mans 1960 Ace, had also in his library some nice pictures of another Le Mans Ace: BEX 1192, the last of the eight entered at the famous Prix d'Endurance in 1962.

Firstly, one of the pictures you have already seen taken at Le Mans in 1979. Alain Larive was driving BEX 289 at the small permanent circuit: The Bugatti.
   Alain is at the back of the car in blue race suit talking with Bernard Maître.

BEX 1192 was taken the same day at the same place and Georges who looks after this other historic Ace is Bernard's brother, the one on the picture with Alain.

One more of the same car given by Lutz Montowski, this time at Montlhéry july 5th 1981.

Many thanks to Alain and Lutz

See you soon !
   Looking forward for Goodwood Revival where I will be glad to talk with some of you [;)]

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2011, 04:01:11 »
Louis,

Thanks for sharing what appears to be an endless amount of information about AC Ace Bristol's at Le Mans (and other interesting AC history)…  Every time I go to the Forum it’s like turning the page in an enjoyable book complete with great period and current photos including captions. Keep up the good work! Obviously, others are enjoying the thread as well, as I see you are approaching 10,000 hits on the forum “Read” counter.

Best Regards,

John
   AEX521

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:52 »
Louis.

Have emailed you a couple of pictures of George Maitre's Ace BEX289 whilst at the Ollon Villars Hill Climb in 2003 and  a more recent one when at Tony Byford's Workshop, Please feel free to post on this thread.
   (I Must learn to post pictures...)

Cheers

Keith ...[;)]

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2011, 14:10:34 »
Dear Thomas,

Thank you and welcome, please tell Georges to follow us as well. Feel free to bring us some more anecdots and informations about your Dad's Ace.

Dear Keith,

Checking my e-mails I did not find your, please send it again. BEX 289 is the ex Georges Gachnang, BEX 1192 is Georges Maître's [;)].

Kind regards
   Louis

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2011, 17:37:14 »
Found at Goodwood Revival:

Tour de France september 1961: Georges and Thomas, I did not know BEX 1192 was already rebodied by that time.

In my mind the car had a bad accident at Tour de France 1961 and then rebodied at Thames Ditton for Le Mans 1962.

Credit FERRET PHOTOGRAPHIC

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2011, 19:16:33 »
I'm a little surprised that spectators were still literally on the course six years after Pierre Levegh went into the crowd.

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2011, 21:56:59 »
Dear Thomas,

I knew the BEX 1192 had an accident at Tour de France 61 but it's a surprise to see the car with a special front body in september 61 before it was sent back to Thames Ditton...

Dear Jim,

What you can see on that shot is BEX 1192, the 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans AC Ace, but the car has been entered at different events before Le Mans. The picture shown is not from Le Mans but was taken at Tour de France, a race around the country in a succession of road stages, special stages and track races.
   Nothing to see here with a circuit background, even from the early sixties.

It's a pleasure for me to have readers from the other side of the pond. [;)]

Jim A

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2011, 23:31:59 »
Well, heck.  It said right there Tour of France, where one would expect that kind of spectator exposure.  Gotta pay more attention.

Thanks for this ever-fascinating thread.