Author Topic: AC Frua Restoration Part 2  (Read 83416 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC Frua Restoration Part 2
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2011, 03:26:06 »
Hi Guys, I do have more photos, the workmanship is impeccable, I am very pleased:

Here is the wing finished, outside:

Inside:

We copied the other side's detail exactly. Of course, I have to get a second job!

Emmanuel [:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2011, 15:46:47 »
When one looks at the details inside the wings, one can understand why these cars are prone to rusting. They were just pieced together like a work of art, not much engineering there, in addition to the rust prone Italian steel, you have so many places where water will get trapped and just sit, slowly eating the metal. The Frua is not the only one however, most exotic Italian cars were built the same way and rusted just the same. On alloy bodied cars, rust corroded the substructure and the car rotted just the same although it's much more expensive to repair.

My two cents!

Emmanuel [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14:27 »
Now the other side front:

Rear:

And the door jam which we should have changed at the time:

After that it should be it!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2011, 04:36:18 »
Here are some pictures of the other side front wing. I hope I am not scaring any of you Frua owners with these shots. All these cars will have corrosion in some places, just like any contemporary Italian made cars. Mine was particularly bad because it was just made up to look good for auction. This is a car that probably sat for years in a field somewhere. I thought it would be interesting for you guys to see what's involved in properly restoring a car like this. I did not do it all at once mainly for financial reasons but also as I said before, also because I wanted to play with the mechanicals first.

Anyway, front right wing:

The rear part of the front right wing:

Here we are somewhat lucky because the inner part will be cleaned up and does not need to be cut off. There is only minor surface corrosion. When the metal work is finished on the car, The whole undercarriage will be stripped, sanded and painted again. I will make sure that paint and sealer are applied to all these inner parts to prevent corrosion to start again.

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:32 »
Heroic job, Emmanuel!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and so a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey."
   John Ruskin 1819 ~ 1900

Victorian sentiment, but applicable here.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by J Jones..."There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and so a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey."
   John Ruskin 1819 ~ 1900. Victorian sentiment, but applicable here.
Especially so, as AC used to use in in advertising!

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2011, 13:51:02 »
Emmanuel, Wow! What can I say? Huge respect to you and your team for the beautiful work which you have shown on this forum. The finished result will be a labour of love and will undoubtedly look fabulous. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Andy.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:07 »
Thanks Andy, I am trying but it sure looks like its never ending.

Anyway, the rear side of the front wing with it's new piece, almost done:

Ben is welding part of the inner piece he had to cut off to fit the new piece.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 02:31:05 »
More photos of the right front wing:

Now the right front door jam, a small rusty part remained:

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2011, 06:37:33 »
OK now the right rear wing, we have an issue that the car is not completely symmetrical. The left wheel is closer to the left wing than the right wheel to the right wheel. On my car, before we worked on it, it was by 3/4 inch, on CFX37 1/2 inch and on Jeffreys car they are even but one lip is bigger than the other and the left wing is bulging more. We will have to make it so it's not that noticeable. Anyway, here is the right wing, same problem as on the other side, they mickey moused the thing:

As you can see the front of the rear wing is much lower than the door, this is factory and they corrected it with lead. Also see how the previous rust repairer just stuck the inner wing on top of the original which rusted away.

Here is the new panel being made, Ben is used to it now and it seems to be going much faster. We are copying Jeffrey's right wing which does not seem to have had any work done on it. Jeffrey was very nice to lend me his car to use as a model.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:05 »
I have more photos, rusted metal and Mickey Mouse inner fender have been removed, the reenforcement behind the door post will be repaired or replaced depending on how corroded it is!

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2011, 09:50:25 »
Hi Emmanuel,

at the end you have a new car [:)]

Peter

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:57 »
Hi guys, I have more photos, the reenforcement behind the door has been fixed. Monday, Mel will make the inner wing and lets hope that by mid-week this side will be done!

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2011, 18:58:10 »
Keep up the good work,the car is looking great.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2011, 17:56:48 »
2 more photos, work has slowed as the shop had to prepare a hot rod for a magazine photo shoot! Inner wing is done!