Author Topic: AC Clutch  (Read 3265 times)

Julian Parsons

• View Profile
AC Clutch
« on: September 10, 2010, 13:19:54 »
Does anyone have a part no for AC engined Ace clutch thrust bearing; my local factor (who I try to support if possible) has cover and driven plate in stock but can find no reference to this, and I dont want to take it all apart without having the replacement bits to hand.
   Thanks

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
AC Clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 13:44:26 »
The Clutch release bearing in most of the AC enine cars is a replacemet graphite ring which is clamped into the carrier, these do not now seem to be available, it is possable to use a replacement bonded type but you will need to verify the offset from the povot to the bearing face, The Austin Healey i believe BN1 onwards uses a bearing assembly which could be used in the fork but may require some washers to get a good fit.
   I have samples in my garage so if you are unable to check the dimensions i could do some measumenets.

Robin

Julian Parsons

• View Profile
AC Clutch
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 15:39:17 »
To answer my own query, when I took the release bearing into the factor they came back in 30 seconds with the correct one, either as a graphite or roller bearing alternative!
   The irony is that it is the one that fits the more powerful Hunter/Sceptre range, and I have now, 35 years after deciding that the Ace was not a practical everyday car and buying a Ginetta G21 with the Sceptre engine, found the first part other than the headlights which is common to them both.
   Some years ago there was mention of creating a parts list, did anything come of it?

AE413

• View Profile
AC Clutch
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 18:45:07 »
Julian, Would that be AE76 that required a new clutch release bearing? If so I replaced it in about 1972 with one from Thames Ditton but its a bit late to take it back and complain now. Pleased to hear the car is still around.

John Davison

Julian Parsons

• View Profile
AC Clutch
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:10:21 »
Yes it is still around! Haven't had it on the road for 20 years but drove it to the Le Mans classic this year.
   The logbook shows you didn't buy it until early 1973!
   Give me a ring on 07971 264119 or email grumblesparsons@googlemail.com.
   What are you driving now, and still in Walton?
   Julian