Author Topic: Ace Dashboard Questions  (Read 4103 times)

BEX308

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:49:02 »
What was the original construction of the glovebox door on the Ace; was it an upholstered aluminum panel or was it based on a wood panel? Also, does anyone have a source for the correct two speed wiper switch and knob?
   Thanks
   Pete

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 23:51:22 »
Pete.

During  recent exchange of email with "Tim Isles", he indicates that the Jaguar XK120/140 has what appeares to be the same "Custard Pie" type Wiper Knob...[?].

Could be worth further investigation. Try googling the Jag  XK 120/140/150 club web site or place  Wanted advert in their Club  magazine.

I will phone a XK140 Friend in the morning and sound him out.[;)]

Keith..[:)]

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:08:48 »
The Ace glovebox door is made from 1/4" thick plywood. The door has a thin layer of cotton/felt wadding material under the leather unlike the dash, which has the leather glued directly to the aluminum panel. The leather covering the door has a piping stitched round the perimeter except where the hinge is located. The leather is attached to rear of the plywood door with small closely spaced metal tacks, this face is then covered by a thin piece of trim board covered with rexine/vinyl that is glued in position.

The correct Lucas PRS 7 (13 terminal) wiper switch is hard to find now but occasionally NOS ones can be found at autojumbles or on Ebay. Some kitcar builders have been able to source new wiper and panel light knobs from ERA replicas in the US or from Superperformance in South Africa.

Good luck with your search,
   regards Luke.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:57 »
Pete.

The Lucas Switch for Windscreen Wiper is model PRS7..[;)] (As Luke stated earlier.) However please note Lucas have two different part numbers for this switch.

31568E/F  and  34374A  both refer PRS7,  could one be single speed and later twin speed ..[?].

Hopefully someone can confirm difference, assuming there is..[;)]

Keith ..[:)]

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 13:26:04 »
There are many different lucas rotary switches that come under the model type PRS7.
   I have a listing from a 1963 lucas book that gives the Ace two speed wiper switch as 31568B/F and 31568E/F.

It is also possible to use the earlier PRS5 switch that was fitted to XK140 Jaguars. This is also a two speed switch, although it requires slightly different wiring as it has fewer terminals.
   Detais here http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/wsmotor/motor.htm/

Luke.

BEX308

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 17:37:50 »
Thank you Keith and Luke. Tim Isles sent me some pictures of 313's glove box door that, when coupled with Lukes info, will take care of that issue. The PRS7 switches for the Jags have very long mountings for use with thick wood dashes while those for metal dashes are much shorter. There is some indication that Triumph may have used a two speed PRS7 in some model but I haven't been able to confirm. The different mounting lengths may account for some of the part numbers. Either way they seem to be scarce as hens teeth.
   I found a knob with Tims help at Bill Tracy Jaguar in Florida. It has the correct shape and is labled WIPER but does not appear to have the speed positions marked. When I get it I will attempt to provide pictures of the knob and the Jaguar switch that I have.
   Pete

rsk289

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 18:47:10 »
Beware - there are a number of PRS7 switches, including the column-mounted light switch for a '70s Triumph Stag.  Any old PRS7 won't do.

Was the dash on the Ace (or Cobra) actually covered in leather?  I thought Cobras were grained leathercloth, same as Healeys etc.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ace Dashboard Questions
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:47:25 »
I've just measured the threaded portion of a 31568E switch and it is 3/4" long. This is mounted through the Ace dash with a thin nut and large washer part way down the thread  behind the dash and the chrome nut clamping from the front.

Aces and Acecas both had leather covered dashboards. The only original unrestored Cobra dashboard I have seen was from CSX2289 and this was covered in thin fine grained black leather as was the glovebox door.

Regards,
   Luke.