Author Topic: CSX 2386 ?  (Read 6224 times)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« on: September 27, 2010, 14:16:43 »
Hi,

can anybody tell me something about this CSX 2386? This is a strange offer from a reliable dealer. I bought my MK IV from him.

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 16:15:03 »
According to the ultimate authority, up to 2006 (at least) it was owned by Rocky Meisel of Willamsport PA. He brought it as a wrecked hillclimb car (it was the PA state hillclimb champion but was inverted) during the 1970s and rebuilt it, painted guardsman blue with red interior. Before that it had been the subject of an insurance claim against SAI for a new engine in 1964. It was shipped to Shelby in April 1964 and was originally silver/red.

So it seems like there is nothing nasty in its past - what is 'strange' about the offer?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 16:28:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

According to the ultimate authority, up to 2006 (at least) it was owned by Rocky Meisel of Willamsport PA. He brought it as a wrecked hillclimb car (it was the PA state hillclimb champion but was inverted) during the 1970s and rebuilt it, painted guardsman blue with red interior. Before that it had been the subject of an insurance claim against SAI for a new engine in 1964. It was shipped to Shelby in April 1964 and was originally silver/red.

So it seems like there is nothing nasty in its past - what is 'strange' about the offer?

The offer claims that the car resides in germany for the last 25 years.

A-Snake

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 17:28:04 »
The car pictured is not CSX2386. Trevor must not have looked at the pictures [:o)]
   That is a worm & sector car with drum brakes. CSX2386 is a rack & pinion car with of course 4 wheel disc brakes. No idea what that ID tag is, it's not what would have been on a later Cobra.

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 21:10:34 »
Err, what picture..? Fake tag time then? Walk away.

A-Snake

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:27:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Err, what picture..? Fake tag time then? Walk away.

Trevor, Click on CSX 2386 in the original post for pics.

jrlucke

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:07:39 »
Is this a fiberglass repro body on an early Ace chassis? The body looks wrong (no square lip on flairs, etc.) add in the Hurst shifter unusual interior and I'd question the authenticity.

The original early Cobras I found photos of had the ebrake next to the passenger seat rather than on the tunnel (which I believe is where Ace's were???).

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

Is this a fiberglass repro body on an early Ace chassis? The body looks wrong (no square lip on flairs, etc.) add in the Hurst shifter unusual interior and I'd question the authenticity.

No, the body is aluminium but your are right many things look wrong. The chassis looks indead like a Ace chassis (well, at least the steering rack).

tim isles

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 15:11:06 »
Car appears to be AE 86, a 1955 Ace. At one stage the original AC six was replaced with an Essex V6, so the 289 is a later addition. This car was last heard of in Germany several years ago. I see it still has its original drum brakes all round, together with its original steering set up.
   Tim

nikbj68

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 15:48:06 »
The steering column looks Ace-like, if it was a fibreglass body, I guess they wouldn`t still have the long Ace bootlid! If we could have a better translation than Google can muster it might help a bit, but this is how it translates:
   "Vehicle description :
   SUPER OPPORTUNITY ! original old Cobra from the type 86 ACE with ALUMINIUM BODY . According to the report is that this vehicle is a Cobra MK II, which was in the sixties during the race and rebuilt several times and improved becoming that model MK II was from 1962 to 1965 built with leaf suspension ( Chassis-Nr. : CSX2126 to CSX2589 . may further be noted that this is due to the character string CSX a built in England and at that time in the U.S. technically completed Cobra is . She still has all-round drum brakes and the original suspension with leaf spring. The engine is a 289iger Small-block V8 with 4.7 liters and 220 KW (300 HP) . The side exhaust is TUV - registered, as the roll bar and the 6.5 x 15 -spoke wheels with central locking . valuation report in 2005 more than 195,000 euro is available! This LOVERS - and COLLECTORS PIECES is for about 25 years ago in Germany at and since then German papers with CLASSIC CAR LICENSE PLATE !"

The chassis plate must be to satisfy German regs, and conveniently replaces the original Thames Ditton one.
   So what was a "type 86 Ace" ? I don`t know how they could put it down as a  MkII without Rack & pinion steering, and how could they think Cobra with drum brakes?
   Oh well... here we go again with a "stuck in the middle" car.
   Persuading the vendor that it is only worth a quarter of the 2005 valuation may be fun!
   [edit] Sorry, started typing this before Tim posted...[:I]

TLegate

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 17:21:58 »
Eeeeww, nasty. And as for those seats - time for me medication again. One for the scrappage scheme?

If I owned 2386 I'd be dusting off my lawyer about now....

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 19:59:06 »
You dont see many long Boot, Drum braked Ali Cobras thats for sure!!

Tim, just got to agree ...  the front leaf spring, good old Bishop Cam  steering and Drum Brakes all round plus thankfully they have retained the long boot. AE86 Cobraised to masquerade as CSX2386.

Only Good News.[:)]It possibly confirms the existence of AE86...[;)].

Any Cobler..OOPPppss  Sorry Cobra Owner will know it can't be
   CSX2386. Nik someone could well have used the general CSX23, dropped the AE and used the 86. and you've guessed it  CSX2386.

Will it ever return to its correct elegant Ace like proportions ?

Doubt it very much. Mind you over the years a fair few Aces have been Cobraised ... put on a few inches and as well as a few cubic inches to live on as a snake.[:(]

Keith

westcott

• View Profile
CSX 2386 ?
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 11:43:27 »
Definitly a Ace with lookalike Cobra body, drum brakes and worm and sector steering. This is what i understood looking at the pictures at the dealers shop listen to his comments.

Westcott
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!