Author Topic: Is this a Real Cobra  (Read 5671 times)

jellison

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« on: June 29, 2010, 16:15:28 »
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C07244/

Sounds like it but after race at the weekend I had a look at it and it felt like it had a think fibre glass body.

Any one know?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 17:11:28 »
I had a good look at this car at Oulton Park last year, and the driver told my father & me that the owner has several original Cobras, of which this is not one!

As the Bradburn ad says, it was built in the late 70`s by Emilio Garcia, but it certainly has an
   Ali body, and is indistinguishable (to my eyes, anyway)from a MkII.

Goes like stink, too!!! (at one point 4 seconds per lap quicker than 2nd place man, but won the race by 4 seconds!)

TLegate

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:40:08 »
This is, as documented, a 'faithful recreation' carrying the chassis number 6042. Robs Lamplough owns the real 6042 which is painted dark green, last seen being sadly 'modified' at the Goodwood Revival a couple of years back.

aaron

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 21:16:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

I had a good look at this car at Oulton Park last year, and the driver told my father & me that the owner has several original Cobras, of which this is not one!

As the Bradburn ad says, it was built in the late 70`s by Emilio Garcia, but it certainly has an
   Ali body, and is indistinguishable (to my eyes, anyway)from a MkII.

Goes like stink, too!!! (at one point 4 seconds per lap quicker than 2nd place man, but won the race by 4 seconds!)

Nic we have mentioned this car before, I am not sure about the comments about this car car being a "faithfull recreation" more a case of someone jumping on the band wagon ,as a certain person thought the original 6042 had dissapeared !!

aaron

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 21:18:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by jellison

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C07244/

Sounds like it but after race at the weekend I had a look at it and it felt like it had a think fibre glass body.

Any one know?

I can not imagine Brian Angliss fitting a fiberglass body to one of his "faithfull recreations" !!!!![:)][:)][:)]

TLegate

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 22:46:59 »
My withering cynicism usually falls upon stony ground (in some cases anyway.... ;-)

History available in the World Registry, with some folk named & shamed.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:15:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by aaron
   I can not imagine Brian Angliss fitting a fiberglass body to one of his "faithfull recreations" !!!!![:)][:)][:)]

I don`t know exactly when Emilio Garcia set up on his own as E.G. Autokraft(in Llanelli), but he`s credited with the build, and equally unlikely to use Fibreglass!
   It would be interesting to know how much (if any? or is that me being cynical now?[;)]) of the original 6042 went into this car, but it is a well raced, well known car that ticks all the boxes.

TLegate

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 15:11:59 »
Doubt very much of 6042 went into the build as it was in the USA at the time..... ;-) So maybe the recreation wasn't entirely faithful?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 17:07:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate
   Doubt very much of 6042 went into the build as it was in the USA at the time..... ;-) So maybe the recreation wasn't entirely faithful?

Yeah... so I wonder what is referred to in the Bradburn spiel: "...the title and what were believed to be remains of a crashed car having been earlier purchased by Chris..."

Aaah, the joys of the Cobra, eh? [:p]

aaron

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:41:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Yeah... so I wonder what is referred to in the Bradburn spiel: "...the title and what were believed to be remains of a crashed car having been earlier purchased by Chris..."

Aaah, the joys of the Cobra, eh? [:p]

I would love to know were the title and remains for this air car came from.

jellison

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 17:03:52 »
Ah - Good stuff - as it came out and raced in the Thoroughbreds a few weeks back - It won - Roy McCarthy was close to getting the lead back when he had a tank slapper and cam in on next lap (knackered from Cancer treatment) - good race though.

So. I am glad it is at least a faithful replica / copy built in exactly the same way as and original (cart springs etc and original type chassis) and not some plastic, spacfreamed modern copy - I just wanted to check ;)

aaron

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 23:52:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by jellison

Ah - Good stuff - as it came out and raced in the Thoroughbreds a few weeks back - It won - Roy McCarthy was close to getting the lead back when he had a tank slapper and cam in on next lap (knackered from Cancer treatment) - good race though.

So. I am glad it is at least a faithful replica / copy built in exactly the same way as and original (cart springs etc and original type chassis) and not some plastic, spacfreamed modern copy - I just wanted to check ;)

John, is your TVR on the road yet ? I have not been on Pistonheads for a long time ,so lost touch with the build.

jellison

• View Profile
Is this a Real Cobra
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 14:53:01 »
My Griff build only really started this year!

Can't beleieve it took so long to start! Keeping my two TR's racers going and the Daft Chevy Chim (gone now) took up alot of time.

The build is coming along well now - all 4 corners on the chassis (not as simple as it sounds as these all need major beefing up), all mods done to the body. Waiting on engine which is really stalling it - only 6 months late (hopefully will be worth it Daft spec 302 should be over 100bhp/litre), driving us nuts - engine in US - finished too!