Author Topic: Does this come from an AC Ace?  (Read 11534 times)

Thierry_1500

• View Profile
Does this come from an AC Ace?
« on: May 23, 2007, 13:23:44 »
Hi,

I'm normally active on a Jaguar XK forum,
   and as we had discussions whether this was once
   an AC Ace, I thought it's easier to ask the
    real experts [:D]

Thank you for your answers and brdgs,

Thierry

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 14:37:56 »
No, not based on the body, do you have any chassis pictures, front chassis would be useful and rear diff. Looks to wide for an Ace.

John.

Thierry_1500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 15:33:49 »
Sadly not other pictures, this is what makes the guessing so difficult... But thanks for the info!

BTW, could it be an Arnolt-Bristol?

Brdgs,

Thierry

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 16:23:44 »
rear quarter is very similar to my memory of a friends Cisticalia (SP) form the 60's

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 17:42:34 »
Again, no for Arnolt Bristol, doors could be but the body is too wide. I wonder if it could be a one-off USA car (quite a few). Let me look through my books.

John.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 21:48:00 »
Looks like a "LaDawri", a popular fiberglass kit car/sports racer body of the late fifties/early sixties.

Rick

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:28:13 »
I showed the photo to a good friend of mine who is extremely knowledgeable with cars and this is what he said: "I doubt that it is/was an Ace. The rear wheels hubs might make it look
   like an ace but many fiberglass kit cars were using Jag chassis; so, it could be a 140/150.  The guy who thought it might be a Ladawri  might be right but I need to see the front. It could also be a Fiberfab, Devin or ? They all used molded dashboards. All for now, MD"

Looking at the rear suspension geometry, this car is very likely to have a solid axle at the back, I agree with my friend Michael, probably an XK chassis, the rear knockoff says "Jaguar" Actually, while I think about it, Jaguar used a #52 spline hub, it means that one would not be able to use a Jaguar ear on a non Jaguar hub. The axle and chassis are most likely Jaguar. No matter what, this could be a neat car to restore. My 2 cents.

Emmanuel

88epx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:50:25 »
The car is an Australian kit car made in the late 1950's.
   It is called a Buchanan and only a very few were ever made.
   The glass fibre body was taken from the Aston Martin DB3S raced by the Kangaroo Racing Stable and slightly altered to keep Astons happy.

Interesting they called some of their cars in the 1950's the "Cobra". Bet Carroll Shelby ignores this as much as he does the AC heritage in articles on Cobras. (Latest Octane Mag for example).

The chassis used were mainly a mixture of their own, MG TC or TD types and I think a single HRG chassis was also was used.

Sorry, but don't know much else.

There was an article on one in Classic and Sports Car in mid 2002'ish
   Worth researching and restoring.

Cheers
   Rod

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 17:12:49 »
I recall reading about Buchanan Cobras a while ago, supposedly based on an Ace Bristol and totalling around 8-10, but the Aston DB3S based version sold 100-150 units! I think it was on CLUB COBRA, I`ll have a trawl later!

88epx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 08:02:17 »
Hi nikbj68
   The info that I have seen on the Buchanan does not include any put onto an AC chassis. I would have thought that would have made a rather expensive kit car in the late 50's.
   The total sales was in the region of 100 to 150
   Rod

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 10:22:22 »
A better car of similar design to the ACE is the Turner which i believe John Tojero may well have been involved, it used a similar twin tubed chassis & was & is a very competative car.I have one awaiting re-build, might be interesting to put an AC engine in it!
   Robin

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:08:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by 88epx

Hi nikbj68
   The info that I have seen on the Buchanan does not include any put onto an AC chassis. I would have thought that would have made a rather expensive kit car in the late 50's.
   The total sales was in the region of 100 to 150
   Rod

Mmmm. Sorry, I was a little vague there. What I meant was the Buchanan 'Cobra' body was reputedly moulded from an Ace, with variations, being based on other contemporary chassis`.
   I found the BUCHANAN THREAD on CC that I mentioned previously too, which has pictures.