Author Topic: Overdrive solenoid  (Read 3796 times)

David Byng

• View Profile
Overdrive solenoid
« on: April 01, 2014, 19:09:45 »
As I grapple with the foibles of driving a post war sports car I was startled to find one day that I couldn't reverse my car out of my garage and had to resort to it being pushed out. Greater minds than mine diagnosed the problem as being that I'd left the car in overdrive and the solenoid that should prevent it being switched on in first & second gear wasn't working. This has yet to be fixed but in the meantime I need to be careful to limit my use of the overdrive.

minimans

• View Profile
Overdrive solenoid
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 00:52:37 »
Be very careful!!! I believe this is what happened to my car and it needed an overhaul of the overdrive unit VERY expensive overhaul. check the thread on 5 speed gearbox inquiry. Mine is all done now and works fantastic..............

72twink

• View Profile
Overdrive solenoid
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 13:38:24 »
It's not so much the solenoid that's your problem than the inhibitior switch that should cut power to the O/D in all but the top gears. Reversing a locked on Overdrive will as mentioned above shatter the one way bearing and more than likely the bearing housing/overdrive casing!

Norman

• View Profile
Overdrive solenoid
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 23:43:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by David Byng

As I grapple with the foibles of driving a post war sports car I was startled to find one day that I couldn't reverse my car out of my garage and had to resort to it being pushed out. Greater minds than mine diagnosed the problem as being that I'd left the car in overdrive and the solenoid that should prevent it being switched on in first & second gear wasn't working. This has yet to be fixed but in the meantime I need to be careful to limit my use of the overdrive.

Norman

• View Profile
Overdrive solenoid
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 23:47:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by David Byng

I never knew that, I must count myself lucky that I haven't blown up the overdrive on RSX5006, as the inhibitor switch was deliberately left unconnnected by David Sanderson when he built the car, to give me an overdrive second. What we need is a modified switch that only works on first. Does such a thing exist?

minimans

• View Profile
Overdrive solenoid
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 01:06:11 »
Really you only need to lock out reverse to prevent the mentioned failure.