Author Topic: 'tool time' story: how I recreate my MK 4  (Read 105744 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
'tool time' story: how I recreate my MK 4
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2008, 09:39:08 »
Ingeneous. Maybe a grubscrew would be more discreet than the big cheesehead though?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2008, 11:28:11 »
Thank you for your continued and detailed posting of the re-building of your car. I find it really interesting to see how our cars were built and what they look like under the skin. Your contribution to the forum is much appreciated, but why no sudoku with the latest photos ?[:)][:)]
   When do you expect to have you car back on the road ?
   Cheers - John.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2008, 17:46:49 »
Here are some new photos. The car is nearly finished. The doors need a second clear coat.

But the bonnets are finished and look perfect:

I have no time plan for this project but I guess that the car will be finished when the open-car season ends [B)]

Maybe one week early if I don't spend time for further Sudokus [:D]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:25:30 by dkp_cobra »

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2008, 07:07:00 »
I really hope you get time to enjoy the Cobra on the road soon, and thanks for sharing your restoration with us!

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2008, 13:36:03 »
I guess it is not quite interesting to see the mounting of emblems but it is the first mounting step in my restauration project [:)]

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:26:20 by dkp_cobra »

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2008, 15:53:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by ANF289

They may get red hot under the header tape.  Never know unless you measure it.  The data provided are convincing enough for me to unwrap mine. I doubt that anyone has the data to prove that they won't be damaged. But good luck, and I hope it is many years before you have the answer to your experiment!
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

Indeed, an interesting article. But I got the impression that asking three experts about "to wrap of not to wrap" you get four different answers.

My aim is not to get more power but to keep the footboxes cool.  Since it's a standard Windsor 351 FoMoCo with GT40 heads I don't expect that the headers get really hot (not red).

My headers are standard and not quite expensive. So I dare the experiment that they will destroyed.

The goal is to keep the heat out of the car's foot wells. Wrapping is done all the time in racing. Maybe you could shorten the life of your headers to some extend, but I have not heard anything about that. Benefits are first and foremost a substantial reduction of heat in the engine compartment and on the inside of the car. An increase in heat inside the exhaust makes for a more complete combustion and a reduction in emissions since the exhaust is more thoroughly burnt. Some racers claim an increase in power. Ceramic coating is usually done on both sides of the tubing to reduce radiant heat on the outside and increase heat inside the exhaust. Ceramic coating greatly increases the lifespan of the exhaust by reducing heat and corrosion on the parts.
   Nice car by the way![:)]

Emmanuel

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2008, 01:32:42 »
dkp-cobra,

let me know if you want the reassembly instructions for those rear hubs ... I had purchased a new kit to fix mine and have a step by step tutorial sent to me from the factory.

Ron

PS if we could post pics and attachements here I would ...but cant.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2008, 16:56:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

dkp-cobra,

let me know if you want the reassembly instructions for those rear hubs ... I had purchased a new kit to fix mine and have a step by step tutorial sent to me from the factory.

Ron

PS if we could post pics and attachements here I would ...but cant.

Ron, did you get my e-mail?

Regards, Peter

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2008, 16:57:40 »
It's back home. Now, the work can start.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:27:11 by dkp_cobra »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2008, 01:41:21 »
It's  been very entertaining following the progress of your restoration,  Lets hope it is firing on all cylinders and makes its debut at The ACOC International at the fabulous  " Bayerischer Wald National Park " on September 10th / 14th 2008.  Organised by Heiner Schaefer....... more details contact Tony Michaels ACOC Chairman.

email   tonmich2002 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Usually have about 30 / 40 or more ACs present from all over Europe.

I must agree with John Norris and Sam Smart Cobras and Aces look the Dogs B******s dressed in BLACK !  there again I could be biased as BEX333 is.... yes. .... Stunning in Black.

Keith

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2008, 17:06:11 »
Where are we? The boot is mounted:

The front axle is mounted together with the steering rack:

Some small stuff quite useful when you want to stop your car:

The reason why it takes so much time is that making the small rubbers is time intensive:

(this here is the bezel of the boot from below: also underlayed with rubber)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:30:12 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2008, 17:14:53 »
Today, I tried to mount the beast: the differential. Do you know these thoughts that you have to do more in the gym when you try to lift a Jag differential? Well, it is quite heavy. Look here:

And this is the weight without the wood (and it is dry). Not an easy job if you are alone and do <u>not</u> have a differential lifter. I used a combination of a hydraulic car jack and a cran for the motor:

One special thing is that the frame is too small for the differential so it must be tilted:

But the worst thing was to tighten the screws on top of the differential. There was not enough space to do the job:

But it was even more pain to fix the safetly wire:

If you think "why hasn't he done this before the diff was lifted up", well this was also my thought but the upper mount bracket has to much play so the correct position can only be fixed after the diff is mounted.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:33:00 by dkp_cobra »

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2008, 18:37:20 »
Maybe some of you lost some badges. Look here if you can find it:

If you need anything of this please contact Steve Gray from Brooklands Motor Company
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:33:38 by dkp_cobra »

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2008, 20:53:23 »
I've probably missed it, can some one provide an email address for Brooklands  motor company as above? thanks, Jim

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2008, 21:03:25 »
thank god for the search button: steve@brooklandsmotorcompany.co.uk
   Jim