Author Topic: AC Emblem Inquiry  (Read 2661 times)

rr64

• View Profile
AC Emblem Inquiry
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:39:41 »
Hello.  I have included images showing two different parts. The part on the left was reported to have come from a 1952 Saloon. The one on the right is of uncertain origin but was at one time with Cobra CSX2033, a car that didn’t go to California when new. Comparison wise, beyond the obvious:

• both appear to have been made of some type brass alloy. The one on the left appears to be a die casting while the other part appears to have been a pressing in sheet metal.

• both were originally fitted with an alignment pin in lower center, the one on the right has had its pin broken off. The pins appeared to have been brazed on prior to chrome plating. The pin locations from center are the same on both.

• both threaded center posts are made from brass flat head screws in ¼ BSF thread that were brazed to the main discs.

• the part on the right is slightly larger (about 0.05 inch) in diameter.

Various articles on the prototype Cobra CSX2000 indicate that when the car arrived in California it was wearing this style “AC” emblem, which Shelby and crew removed. Pictures taken by the original owner’s family of CSX2001 new show it to have this style emblem on the front of the car. CSX2001 and quite a few early cars never went to California. The emblem shown on the right was with CSX2033 at some point in time. Since that car didn’t go to California it is possible it wore at least one AC emblem but the one shown here (on the right) is so much different than the really nice heavy casting on the left I have assumed the one on the right is not a genuine AC Cars piece.

Is there anyone on the forum that might be able to confirm the part on the right is not an AC Cars production part? Or maybe it is?

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

aex125

• View Profile
AC Emblem Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:52:03 »
Hi Dan,
   I'm back home now and checked my one badge that is not mounted (from AEX1078) and from the back side it has the the reversed AC visible like the one on the right, but it also has a manufacture's name. It has the name on the upper back side above the top of the A and C, where your pic has a high reflection. Unfortunately, I cannot make out the name tonight (J.TRAT LTD BHAR ?), so I'll check again tomorrow with a magnifying glass. I hate getting old.
   Jay

aex125

• View Profile
AC Emblem Inquiry
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 17:58:19 »
Dan,
   I had a chance to take an emblem off 125 and get a better look at what was written on the back. 125's writing was more legible and it says
   J. Bray LTD BHAM.
   I assume this means it was fabbed by J. Bray and maybe he was located in Birmingham, but perhaps someone in the UK can provide better insight into the BHAM.
   I'll send you some pics, and can post here if anyone has interest.

Jay

PS I did a search and the only reference for J.Bray LTD was with a Swallow Doretti badge. I believe Swallow Doretti's were 1952-53 models so the time frame sounds correct for J. Bray being in business at the same time as the early Aces were being built.

rr64

• View Profile
AC Emblem Inquiry
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 22:13:01 »
Jay,
   Great input. Thanks.
   Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.