Author Topic: BEX402 Is For Sale..Reluctantly  (Read 3550 times)

GaryC

• View Profile
BEX402 Is For Sale..Reluctantly
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:01:59 »
Well BEX402 is fully awake after its 40 years sleep.  After driving the car today on an extended outing, I have to be practical and accept that I am just too tall to fit without all the modifications mentioned in this forum.  The good news is that I have located another project Ace that would be more appropriate to modify rather than such an original survivor as BEX402.

The carbs were gone thru and the brake and clutch systems were fully rebuilt.  The Bristol D2 engine was rebuilt with new pistons etc and it fires right up and is completely clean running.  All the syncros are fine and the gearbox and rear end are quiet (with the windscreens!).  The tires are new (but probably 30+ years old) and hold air fine...for safety they should be replaced.

The body was repainted in about 1972 and there is absolutely no corrosion or rust or damage other than a repair to the left rear inner wheel well (blown tire??).  The entire chassis is original including the wiring in untouched xlnt condition.  It looks like the 25K miles on the odometer and is  supported with the stack of early documents and correspondence with AC in the '60's and 70's.  Everything touched to bring the car back to life was done to preserve it's original condition...no touch up respray of anything... just a wipe down in certain areas.

The car has its original California (delivery new) black license plates and "pink slip" from 1971.  It was last registered for the road in 1982.  It appears to have been resprayed its original red paint just once in about 1972 when the engine was rebuilt and the interior freshened. I have a can of the old lacquor paint that should accompany any good barn find.

It comes with its original flat windscreen (glass broken), top bows and covering, side curtains and factory bag, bottle jack and handle and a tool roll.  All of these look like they came with the car when new.

The valve covers and side cover leak a little oil and that will be taken care of shortly.  All the A arm bushings seem orig and tight but the main steering pin has some play and won't take grease without disassembly.  A new bushing kit is included if it has not already been installed brfore the sale. The cars steers straight without any noticeable steering wheel play as it is.

I almost forgot....this is a very early disc brake option car (Jan 15, 58) and it was ordered without the heater.  Also, there was a roll bar installed and the attachment brackets are still in place.  Racing history unknown.  I recently purchased the Ace right before the world turmoil but I hope $175K would be realistic and maybe low and I am hoping it will go for more. You can email direct to gkc"at"roadrunner"dot"com.

Thanks for your help and I hope to share the revival of the long footbox replacement Ace once BEX402 finds a new home.  Gary

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:32:11 »
Wow, wish I had a spare $175K, car seems cheap at that price and should be sold in a hurry. It's situations like this that make me glad I'm an average-sized Joe who fits in pretty much anything! Good luck with the sale, and I hope the car goes to a good home.

Peter
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:46:28 »
Gary

Sorry to learn that you cannot wear BEX402, Unfortunately Sir, "AC"
   do not make this model in different larger size, However, may we suggest you look at the Cobra ... the next model up, which should accomodate ones larger frame.

Keep us all informed of the New Custodian, In the meantime please confirm Chassis number of latest acquisition ....  Ace Bristol BEX???
    Any pictures ??

Good luck with the new project.

Keith

GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 18:02:06 »
Now that the new year is here, I am going to more actively try to find a new home for BEX402.   I would really like to see it go to an appreciating club member rather than a broker who will turn it for a profit.  Also the mods behind the front seat were determined to be for a roll bar and I would still like to find info on any racing history. The paperwork supports its 25k miles on the odometer, comes with orig tools, jack and handle, top and bows, grease gun, engine crank, side curtains and storage bag, a fresh Bristol engine, Calif black license plates and 1971 "pink slip" title, and is in time warp condition.  Just a very honest example.  Happy New Year! Gary gkc"at"roadrunner"dot"com