Author Topic: 302 ENGINE DIFFERENCES  (Read 2199 times)

MATT

• View Profile
302 ENGINE DIFFERENCES
« on: June 22, 2006, 14:22:35 »
Following on from the CRS tuning posts on the site, does any member know if there are general performance differences between the US 302 engine and the Aussie engine fitted in the CRS cars?.

As the owner of car 26 I have an Aussie 302 unit fitted which when parked next to a US fitted car is clearly different in apperance. More ominously though is that on the road the performance is markedly lacking when pitched against the US cars, especially when driven hard in a straight line.

Can anybody shed any light on this.

Many thanks  Matt

302 ENGINE DIFFERENCES
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 04:56:42 »
Ok my best guess as I own AK3024 which is a 1988 and has a US 302 (5.0L HO ) EFI motor.  If my memory serves me correctly the AUSSIE 302 is a 335 series motor basically a destroked 351C.  The US 302 is a windsor based motor.  Which is better ?? well thats an arguement being debated on the PANTERA site for decades.  In the 80's and 90's the 335 series is not the basis of FORDS performance motors.  Why AC used them is beyond me ?  BUT your in luck the parts for the 335 series if thats what you have are cheap here in the USA.  I have a garage full.  But contridictory I am building a 335 series motor they call an "XE" block which is a NASCAR based block ..its  aheavy duty 335 series block. if you need help send me a pic I can tell you in  a second which motor it is.  The AUSSIE 302 has 335 heads and the US has windsor heads.

Ron

C9OBY

• View Profile
302 ENGINE DIFFERENCES
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 15:25:03 »
Hi Matt,

It only took 90 viewings to get a reply !!! I hope all's well; see you & Lorraine in a few weeks.

Cheers,
   BC

PS: are you coming in the CRS or Aceca?