Author Topic: recommendation on a jack / tire removal  (Read 5588 times)

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
recommendation on a jack / tire removal
« on: December 13, 2006, 14:27:57 »
Hello all,
     Since it looks like I will have to take off the wheel, I have two questions,  1.) I have never removed a wheel with a knockoff wheel (I have spinners with wire), is their a procedure I can follow?

Also, any recommendations on a hydrolic jack that is nice to use on the MKIV?

Thanks,

Jan

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 17:40:33 »
Jan, Jack under main frame rail (jack that came with car(sizzors is slow but works) lift until the tire is just touching ground. With Brass hammer, begin hitting each ear in succession two or three wacks ( remember lefty - loosey on US drivers side of car, I believe righty loosey on US passenger side)), It man take four or five cirles of the knockoff to get it to release. Then jack car up higher, remove wing and pull assembly off. Clean threads on axle with toothbrush and brake cleaner or another solvent. Clean threads of spinner the same way. Prior to replacing put anti seize compund on axle threads ( thin coat & I put some on the hub and pins as well), put light coat of anti seize on threads of spinner and thread back on after reinstalling wheel. Begin wacking ears in sequence, two wacks each until you belive it is firmly on. Lower car and give each wing two wacks and the safety wire it properly. Remember...the wing on US drivers side will walk anti clockwise if it loosens, so wire to prevent this.)

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 06:52:29 »
I recall seeing a device which a GT40 owner was selling on eBay, which could be fitted to a torque wrench and would apply even pressure to all 3 ears of the spinner...I`ll have a scout & see if I can find any details.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:04:56 »
Nik,

See http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=263  for a spinner tool. I have suggested this to several people with "reluctant" spinners and all have has success.

"play the gee-tar on the MTV.............."[:D]

Rick

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:07:23 »
quote:
Remember...the wing on US drivers side will walk anti clockwise if it loosens, so wire to prevent this.)

Does this mean Jim, that the wheels spin in the opposite direction in the UK?[?]

Just askin'...
   Rick[8D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 13:03:23 »
Yeah, Rick...and the water goes the opposite way down the plughole..

...Oh no, that`s Australia..isn`t it. (It was on the Simpsons)

Nothing like the design I saw, but the result is exactly the same!
   The one I saw had rubber tubes over steel pegs, so as not to mark the spinners. $200 for one of those billet ones seems a tad rich to me.

#...look at them Yo-yo`s, that`s the way you do it....#

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 14:03:08 »
Hi Jan,

I used this tool (similar to that one from finishline) and I wasn't able to remove my tires. I think the right way to knock off the wheels is a special hammer with nylon heads and plump bullets inside. Sorry for that bad description I only know the german word. If I translate it into english it is called: blow-back proof. Maybe one of the native speaker know what kind of hammer I have in mind.

Regards, Peter

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 15:25:48 »
It is called a "dead-blow" hammer. And most people do not reccomend it for spinners as part of the force is loct. The old fashioned lead or copper head hammer seems to work best.
   Rick

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 16:28:54 »
#....we gotta move those ree-frigerators....#

I usually see the 'mechanics' at the Gooders Revival belting spinners mit copper-head hammers. Or 'Birmingham screwdrivers' as they are more commonly known.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 16:45:19 »
Trevor,
   Known as "Mexican speed wrenches" in these parts.

"The little faggot is amillionaire...."

Rick

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 19:01:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

Hi Jan,

I used this tool (similar to that one from finishline) and I wasn't able to remove my tires. I think the right way to knock off the wheels is a special hammer with nylon heads and plump bullets inside. Sorry for that bad description I only know the german word. If I translate it into english it is called: blow-back proof. Maybe one of the native speaker know what kind of hammer I have in mind.

Regards, Peter
   no.... water goes down the drain the wrong way in the southern hemisphere not england

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 19:02:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV

quote:
Remember...the wing on US drivers side will walk anti clockwise if it loosens, so wire to prevent this.)

Does this mean Jim, that the wheels spin in the opposite direction in the UK?[?]

Just askin'...
   Rick[8D]

Hhhmmmm...I have to drawa picture to figure this out

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 21:21:20 »
Just seen this in the "Spinner removal" (http://www.racecar.co.uk/acoc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=183 thread...

courtesy of gblue, this seems like a good homebrewed version of the billet jobber above.

# I want my.......
   I want my......
   I want my....A.C.O.C!!!#