Author Topic: Disc Brake Rotor Interchange  (Read 6551 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Disc Brake Rotor Interchange
« on: May 17, 2009, 15:32:39 »
Were the disc brake rotors for the Aces also used on any other cars, or were they specific to the Aces? I need at least 1 for 1078 and am hoping I can find a source from another car. Worst case, are the same as 289 Cobras?
   Thanks,
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:21:07 »
Weren't they sourced from TR3s originally?
   Or does this apply only to the calipers, not the discs?

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 15:48:42 »
I know the calipers are Triumph, but I had heard the rotors were not. Unfortunately, the person that told me that did not know the lineage of the rotors.

Jay

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 16:07:58 »
Why is it that the club cannot have all this information on line available to all?

Robin

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:55:40 »
If an Ace parts list exists, it can be posted on the website Members' Pages with the other technical information.  The only one I'm aware of within the club is for the 3000ME.  If such a list does not exist, I am sure that if Ace and Aceca owners got together they could produce one.  Any volunteers?

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 21:42:18 »
Many years ago I started a cross reference list and have many things listed (headlight buckets, tail lights, steering wheel hub, etc) but it is by no means an exhaustive list. Unfortunately, it does not help with the current part I am looking for and maybe its time to take the broken one to the local Moss shop and see if it matches a TR3. As for improving the completeness of the list, I am always willing to undertake these things and can add to my existing list if anyone has input. I have also been contemplating creating an Ace web page and making this as apart of it, but have not yet tried to pull one together. I'll try and post the list I have and if anyone wants to provide their info, I can add it in. Also, many years ago I saw an Ace cross reference on e-bay that showed many mechanical cross references (1953 Studebaker clutch disc could be used on a AC engined Ace as an example) and so if anyone has a copy of this manual, it could add a significant amount of info to any future list.
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 00:24:33 »
The cross reference list you saw on eBay one time might resemble the list that was attached to the original instruction manual that came with my car. I never found it really impressive but still it can be helpful. I will scan the few pages and email to you.

Jerry

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:35:00 »
My car has been in the family since 1968 so I went through my files and found two references to disc brakes. The first was a copy of a 1980's AC Action which posted a 1976 AC cross reference list which calls out both the calipers and rotors from a TR3. I also found a hand written note from 1968 which states "front disk brakes TR3". Like many of us I have many partial lists and hand written notes...and I am willing to share such resources...any volunteers out there with some spare time to compile and post and maintain a list on the web site?

John
   AEX521

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 13:19:46 »
John
   Given that i am involved in making the AC Weller engines, if members are willing to send to me all the information they have i will put a list together, i have already been looking at the replacement bearings for the hubs & differentials for Ace & Aceca.
   If you all agree please send the data to my 'E' Mail address,''robin.woolmer@homecall.co.uk''  & i will attempt to make out a listing.But i might need a little help as well on detail.

Robin

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 06:23:36 »
John,
   Thanks for the info on the rotors, I'll pick one up and hopefully it will match the one I have.

Robin, Thanks for stepping up to compile the "list". Ive got 4 different lists going so I'll go through them this weekend and combine them into one and send it your way. BTW, I have cross references for 3 of the 4 wheel bearings (not by car, only by bearing manufacturers) and those will be on the list. The only one I have not found is the Rear Outer, R&M LDJ40.

Jerry,
   I would be interested in seeing a couple of pages of the manual you say you have.
   Jay

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:52 »
Jerry
   I have investigated the R&M LDJ40 & hopefully i have the correct one identified, i will be ordering a set & once recieved will verify it & the actual part numbers stamped on them, as you know the AC Handbook had the 'D' in the wrong place!
   I am also coordinating with a hub manufacturer in the UK to ensure there tolerances are correct for the bearing fit in the housings. By the way this bearing is quite expensive in the UK @ £50 +Vat!

Robin

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 22:10:09 »
Jay,
   I hope the rotors match up. Be sure to post the results after you have compared the parts.

I will send off the parts cross reference list(s) that I have to Robin and cc a copy to you as well. I am interested to see what response Robin gets from other members and what the compiled list looks like. Thanks Robin...should be a worthwhile effort for all!

John

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 00:35:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125...rotors, I'll pick one up and hopefully it will match the one I have..Jay

I presume if it does match, you`ll buy another one & fit them as a  pair, as using the middle pedal for steering ain`t fun!

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 16:51:13 »
If they do match I'll have to see if the one I have is usable or not. At this point I only have 1 rotor and so the first step is to find it a mate and then compare the dimensions/flatness to see if the "original" is good or not.

Jay

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 16:44:28 »
Robin,
   I e-mailed my list to you. Let me know if you did not receive it.
   Jay