Author Topic: ace bristol shocks  (Read 7906 times)

TTM

• View Profile
Re: ace bristol shocks
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 07:53:46 »
I have no experience with the original Armstrong shocks but I can say that the revised Eacott/Bird Spax dampers with limited travel have worked very well for me on the road, on the track and with servicing the car with its wheels up in the air.

Dampers are wear items and looking at today's technology the only interest of the originals probably lies in being kept on a shelf as factory relics for "archaeollectors".

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 17:22:13 »
Dear Barrie and TTM,
Thank you very much for your feedback, i might go for spax then.. and keep the Armstrong on the shelf...
but i have no experince with gas shocks, i have the feeling that the gas might escape sooner then later, and that the shocks stops work as they should...
As well, i am not sure i need 28 stages of adjustments, or once you ahve this possibilty you realise how important it is?
Thanks!
Eddie

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 11:30:25 »
Mine have been on the car for I think 5 years and done a few thousand miles. I have them set on full soft as the car has always been quite stiff with its Ace 2.6 leaf spring layout (one more leaf spring on each axle compared with previous Aces). The only critic I could make would be that Spax might want modify the calibration so that the current softest setting would be the average setting.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 09:16:00 »
i lifted the car to grease the hubs, half shafts, cross shafts, bleed the brakes; and the rear shocks lifted enough for the shroud to clear the damper body and i saw that they are rebuiltable!
There is a cap!
I am not sure wich brand they are, i see no markings. but i am happy about this discovery. might be difficult to find the seals, but i plan on rebuilding them.
I hope the front are the same. I need to thake them off. The shourd dont clear the body to see the top of the damper even with the wheels lifted.

I can confirm that when lifting the car and the rear weels droop, the axles binds.

Thanks!
Eddie