Author Topic: Cobra Mk IV / Mk III dash  (Read 7345 times)

shep

• View Profile
Cobra Mk IV / Mk III dash
« on: August 18, 2010, 18:26:56 »
A member has asked if I know anyone who has fitted a Cobra Mk IV with a dashboard in the shape and layout of the Mk III, as he would like to change to the earlier style. I gave him lots of contacts and numbers but nothing has led to a successful result so far. Andy.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 19:28:06 »
Might be worth contacting Gerry Hawkridge to see if he can assist

Robin

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 19:34:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by shep

A member has asked if I know anyone who has fitted a Cobra Mk IV with a dashboard in the shape and layout of the Mk III, as he would like to change to the earlier style. I gave him lots of contacts and numbers but nothing has led to a successful result so far. Andy.

If he's looking for someone who will do the conversion for him call Gerry. If he wants to doi it by himself and looks for some people who can help he should send me an e-mail. My dashboard looks like:

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 20:42:25 »
Big Al and Alec at Thunder Road do the MkIII dash conversion to the MkIV on a semi regular basis. I think they've done two this year so far.
   www.thunder-road-shop.co.uk
   Cheers - John.

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 21:24:20 »
Saw one that Neil at Redline engineering had done just a couple of weeks ago and it was spot on.
   www.redlinepe.co.uk

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 21:31:35 »
Check out  Peter De Rouset-Hall's  MK1V Superblower.

Was one of the Last MK1Vs built. Peter specified Short Nose,
   MK111 dash, MK111 fitting of overiders,  MK111 specifications in preference to the MK1V spec. Custom Built to Peters Specification.
   I Have to agree with Peters Choice the MK111 interior is more in keeping with The Cobra than
   the  modern Dash layout of the Superblower !! .[:)]

Peter ...  Can you possibly post a few pictures ??
    ACS7019 .. .. EDC47C ..  ..  ..

Keith

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 22:43:48 »
Keith.

Will try and post one tomorrow - if I can remember how to do it!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:23:01 »
Hawk Cars have done lots.......where do you think the parts come from?

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 23:24:28 »
Hi to all,
   I own Superblower ACSB 7020. It was only part built at Brooklands in 2001 before the business went West. I subsequently bought the car from the chap who placed the order to AC Cars for the car. He wanted a number of Mk 3 'SC' features on his 'special build' car. For example he wanted the rear Le Mans flip top filler on the rear wing and the rivets around the front bonnet edge. When I bought the car, 2 years after it was removed from the factory and still exactly as it left the factory, I have recently commenced the final build of the car and have continued with the Mk 3 theme. I took the car to Steve Gray at Brooklands last year to have a Mk3 'SC' dash fitted. However I also wanted a glove box - which is not an 'SC' feature. I had Steve make a glove box in the same style as the black Cobra in the Brian Laben(?) book. I think it is the ex Peter Wolfe car? (Not sure if I've got his name right!). The front face of the glove box is Dzus fastened onto the dash. I wanted to keep with the raw race type look. I'll try and attach a couple of images to show you what I mean. (Not quite sure how to do this though-can someone advise?) Hope this is of help. Incidentally I can highly recommend the work that Steve Gray did on my car.
   Regards
   Gary

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 13:18:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Superarnie Mk2...I'll try and attach a couple of images to show you what I mean.

It ain`t that easy, but judging by your 'job on', I guess you like a challenge!!!

Posting Photos Information here, 5th post down. [:)]

Best of luck with your build, and if it turns out anything like Peter`s, it will be a job VERY well done!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 23:47:07 »
Thanks nikbj68, lets see if this Photobucket malarky works!!

Hopefully below will be a picture of my Mk3 'SC' type dash made by Brooklands last year.

Fingers crossed!!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 23:48:41 »
Yippeeeee!!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 23:57:44 »
With regards to changing from a Mk4 to a Mk3 style dash, obviously all the steering column, indicator stalks, ignition cowling etc will all have to be either thrown out or adapted to the new Mk3 dash. I was advised to contact Big Al at Thunder Road as he had done this conversion on a number of cars. He was brilliant and when I explained what I wanted to do on my car, he immediately sent me a rough sketch drawing of what I needed to do with the original Ford Granada column as fitted to the Superblowers. I took my column to a local machine shop and they were able to do the necessary alterations. You may be able to see on the image above, my 'new' steering column just poking through the dash.I will scan that drawing into my computer, upload it onto photobucket and then transfer it onto this 'thread'- I'm getting good aren't I?

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 23:50:19 »
On second thoughts, please contact Big Al at Thunder Road. I'm sure he will be able to explain the procedure far better than I can!!
   Gary