Author Topic: New Shelby 289 Street Roadster  (Read 7449 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
New Shelby 289 Street Roadster
« on: February 01, 2011, 20:07:11 »
Well, at times I have been know to stir up some trouble. I received an email from Shelby American introducing their new models. One was a really good looking 50th Anniversary Shelby Cobra. I was told the car was sold out in 48 hours.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/50th.asp

Since that was no info on the engine I made a call. I was told a 289 was offered either from Ford or an aluminum block from Shelby. I then ask "Who makes the aluminum body"? The man told me they had two sources but Kirkham supplied most on the bodies. I comment that is a well built product then added that I have an Autokraft AC MKIV. There was a period of silence. I could tell he was thinking "What is that?"
   I then added "AC in England". The gentleman then said that some of the bodies came from the original source in England. That AC had gone bankrupt in 1961 and Shelby bought the rights to the body.

If you through stone, please don't aim at me.

Best wishes to all,
   AK1131
   my car is aluminum, my boat is fiberglass

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 00:14:43 »
A knowledgable source told me (a while back) that Shelby tried to have the bodies built in Arizona using Prison labor - actually quite a good idea. It seemed like a Win-Win proposition; Prisoners learn a new trade and have employable skills when they're released, Shelby gets low-cost handbuilt cars.
   It apparently didn't work out as planned, and they had to source bodies from Kirkham.

I hope my information is not as fawlty (mispelled intentionally) as that supplied by the Gentleman you spoke to on the phone.

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 00:17:40 »
excuse me - I think the Prison labor was in Nevada. I don't actually remember the specifics, but Nevada would make better sense.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:55:56 »
I once looked at one of those cars made in Nevada and it was terrible, cheaply made, not like a Kirkham!

Emmanuel

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:26:58 »
The Alloy body/chassis units do come from Kirkham. The composite (fiberglass to us mortals) come as a complete roller from Hi Tech (Superformance to afore mentions mortals) in South Africa as did the later Brooklands Aces and the Aceca chassis.

The 289 street car and the 289 FIA/USRRC cars are also available from Superformance with slightly different specification. Remember that Jim Price of Hi Tech technically ownerd AC for a short period when "Dear Leader" was in one of his disappearing acts. The fact that Mr. Lubinsky never signed the agreement led to his return and Mr. Price walking away and shuttering AC once more only to have the reminants whisked off to Malta for short holiday in the sun.

The point is Hi Tech had access to all of the AC drawings and are now putting them to use.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 16:00:58 »
Tha car i drove was not from Kirkham, i think it was made in South Africa. The body panel fit was poor, the trunk floor was too low and stuck out below the body panels. Definitely not a Kirkham. I had one, i know the workmanship. Althought lately they have too many cheap looking billet stuff and its a problem.

Emmanuel

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 22:17:21 »
When I spoke to the gentleman at Shelby American his statement was
   "When Shelby bought the rights to the body from AC Bristol". Which tells me he knows even less than the truth. Without any DNA it might as well be a Shelby Dodge http://www.sdac.org/ remember them. At lease the car is tube frame / leafspring. Ummm wonder who is building the frame?

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 22:33:47 »
If a fiberglass model cost $69995 and an aluminum model cost $134995 without power then my MKIV body should be worth $65000. Right?[8D]

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 23:48:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

When I spoke to the gentleman at Shelby American his statement was
   "When Shelby bought the rights to the body from AC Bristol". Which tells me he knows even less than the truth. Without any DNA it might as well be a Shelby Dodge http://www.sdac.org/ remember them. At lease the car is tube frame / leafspring. Ummm wonder who is building the frame?

The car you drove was NOT made in South Africa. Hi Tech has supplied NO alloy cars to Shelby.

strada5300

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 00:03:58 »
I read that in some recent Shelby literature, too, that they have
   aluminum bodywork made in England. I don't suppose they could be pinched for false adverts?
   Maybe they meant "designed in England."

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 00:15:20 »
I thought Kirkham seized supplying to Shelby resulting from Shelby not paying their bills. Must be they made amends.. Does anyone put out an aluminum car like Kirkham? I'm aware of the hi-tech/Superformance story. Hi tech used to put out an exact copy of the 427 in aluminum, did they not?

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 00:52:07 »
Different "Hi Tech"...there is Hi-Tech Automotive in Port Elizabeth, South Africa which makes cars for Superformance, Noble, Rossion, etc. and used to make some oddball piece named the "Brooklands Ace" for some obscure Brit company by name of "AC".

The OTHER "Hi Tech" was a US company who made very high level Cobra replicas including ally body option.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 15:54:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by strada5300: I read that in some recent Shelby literature, too, that they have aluminum bodywork made in England...

Well... North Devon Metalcraft Did or do supply Shelby, and the pic below shows, and I quote from their website, "Cobras being prepared for Shelby American"

(Click pic to go to Cobra build gallery)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 01:23:24 »
Kirkham has been making small block Cobras for a while now. They make a complete 3" leaf springs chassis. It's probably where the Shelby one comes from. You can also get the 4" MKIII chassis mounted on a narrow small block body, in other word you get the handsome small block AC / Cobra look and the better handling coil spring chassis, add a hot small block engine and you get a awesome and fun car.

Emmanuel [:)]