Author Topic: Some AC Bristol History  (Read 4036 times)

Jim A

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« on: November 23, 2009, 21:12:12 »
I couldn't find any earlier mention of this Autosport Nostalgia Forum Thread.
   http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=96517
   It has some excellent information about a gent named Lonnie Rix and doings AC-wise in the 1950's.
   Even if it is a repeat, it is good.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 23:12:59 »
Jim

Same 44 pages on Lonnie Rix and his racing history especially with AC Ace Bristol BEX257 plus horrific photos of the fatal road accident pre Sebring Race in which Gilbert Johnson died and Lonnie Rix somehow got out of the passenger seat, very little left of the ACE.  (Has it been reserected and now regisrered in France ????)

If I recall this thread was discussed on this forum about Dec 2007/ Jan / Feb 2008.

Great pictorial biography of Lonnie Rix. A great ambassador for AC,  Jaguar, Austin Healy and Bristol Arnolt.

Makes you wonder how much more  fasinating information on Racing Aces are hidden away in Jerry Entin's  archives. [?]   One day, hopefully we will learn more, in the meantime Enjoy the 44 pages of history portrayed on this site.

Thank you Jim, for bringing it up for those who missed it a couple of years ago.

Keith [:)] [:)]

Jim A

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 23:54:34 »
44 pages?  Where?  Searching "Rix" didn't do much, nor did looking at the forum dates.  Maybe I need tutoring.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41:46 »
Jim

When I down loaded 44 pages of data on Lonnie Rix in Jan 2008,
   I went to:-

http:/forums.autosport.com/showthread.phps=7ae7beb00bd3e7bb95364c5b471a19e

Atlas F1 Bulletin Board- Lonnie Rix- AC 'Man from Savannah'

The Nostalgia Forum>Lonnie Rix-AC's'Man from Savannah'
   I have listed all major references so hopefully you have more luck this time round.

They appear to be the same 44 pages as per your link.

The link opened up and after reading I simply printed it off,  hopefully you are more successful next time,  Great site worth a visit.

Keith

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:01:53 »
Jim

I tried your link and once open scrolled through, most of or possibly all the same pictures and text as I found a couple of years ago is available.

Seems strange that our historic records on this forum seem to be unobtainable from day one e.g.  2006 when the ACOC changed format and redesigned the ACOC web site.

Maybe,  Our Administrator  "Bryan Moseley" can work his box of tricks and give us access to the older threads posted in 2006 & 2007.

Cheers 4 now

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:42:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol
   Seems strange that our historic records on this forum seem to be unobtainable from day one...

Strange... typing in "facelift" in the searchbox takes me to my first post (and indeed the first ever non-admin post, from April `06!) on the forums, and I`ve tried a few other keywords to find `06 & `07 messages succesfully, but I can`t find the "Man in Savanna" thread.
   Looks like the site is working OK, but that thread has got 'lost'?!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 00:25:08 »
Nik

Thank you for checking back in the archives, No Savanna Thread ?
   I must be mistaken and entered into email correspondance with a few ACOC members in USA back in Jan 2008.  All old email deleted some time ago, Could well account for me having 44 page print out in Old file. [:)]

The old grey cells have let me down on this occassion, However still a great thread, definitely worth reserecting. [;)]

Keith

Jim A

• View Profile
Some AC Bristol History
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 23:56:32 »
FWIW, there was certainly a discussion of this in March of this year.  It just got lost; maybe the forum has the same grey cell problem Ketih and I do.  Now I am about to post another topic that probably has been well covered before.