Author Topic: Vintage Six for sale, at auction  (Read 3165 times)

Old Crock

• View Profile
Vintage Six for sale, at auction
« on: November 13, 2012, 13:55:33 »
With probably less than twenty vintage AC Sixes surviving these cars rarely come up for sale. Bonhams are offering one, from 1926, in their Harrogate sale. It's been in storage for more than 30 years and looks in quite a sorry state. They estimate £5-8000, but unless you've got a lot of time on your hands I think restoration costs will certainly exceed £20,000. I'm told the car has a PVT engine installed (with three carbs), but the original engine is in the same auction (looking very poorly). Here's a link, click on the pictures there to enlarge them:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20147/lot/535/?list_search_query=1&lang=en_gb&back_to_year=2003&sale_no=20147&limit=9999&query=ac&create_facets=False

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 17:48:24 »
Sold, well over estimate, for £13225, and its engine went for £2185. So, a nice vintage six must deservedly be worth £30,000+?

Cornishman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 17:49:43 »
Having thought I had nearly finished the renovation of my six on more than one occasion, I can testify that your financial estimate is certainly on the low side!

In fairness my pratical input has been virtually negligible upto date except for signing cheques of course! I have driven the car about 90 miles and it's performance impressed me no end before having to call in the RAC. Certainly a totally different experience to my Empire, with the promise of being a very able touring car.

I had not realised that there were quite so few still in existance. I have tried not to make a nuisance of myself on the forum but I would really appreciate an invitation for a ride in or to look at other six's. I live in Cornwall of course, but do go "upcountry! from time to time! Thanks!