Author Topic: looking for an early MKIV  (Read 6074 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
looking for an early MKIV
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:26:31 »
Hello everybody,

I'm Olivier, from France, and after owning a fake snake (a 289 BRA)among other classic cars, I now want the "real thing", and I'm looking for a MKIV [:p]...
   it has preferably to be an early one (1982), as it is by far the easiest way to register it here (cars older than 30 years old benefit from a classic registration, even if not previously homologated in the country), LHD, and, of course [;)], at a decent price ...
   AK1001 was a perfect candidate (it was the subject of a previous thread on this forum), but it is now sold  and I wasn't ready ...

Thank to this forum,  I know that only few cars were produced in 1982 (all buxbaum cars), but I guess it can be found  ...

a later car can be considered, but it would be a harder (registration) & more expensive (duty taxes if from the USA) porject.

Thank you

Olivier

PS: Special Thanks to Peter (dkp_Cobra) & Bruce (C9OBY) for their precious infos by PM [:)] ...

wenzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:57:17 »
Olivier, what's your budget[?]  Car is registered in Germany, 2012 ready for historic registration and just completely restored.

CRS9505

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 21:26:04 »
There's an '86 left hand drive coming up at H & H Auctions in July - good set of images on their web site.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 22:45:32 »
@ wenzeh : U have a PM

@ crs9505 : i've seen it, thanks ... The orange one, right ?

I must insist on the fact that a very early car is prefered, expecially if the car comes from overseas (or more precisely from the outside of europe  [8)] )...

gamera11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:18:54 »
AK1055 had a 427 installed at the factory before shipment to US. DOT importation documents indicate it came in as a specially constructed race car.Registered in 1985 in CA and has CA vin CA389303.It is now registered and located in Kansas City MO. Original Ragoon red.Black interior ,black top,side curtains and soft top .Black tonneau cover.Hood scoop,oil cooler,3.55 gear.No side marker lights from the factory, MKIII type seats without the headrest. I had Bill Murray install a roll bar painted black some years ago for piece of mind. The car was delivered with duel fours but when noted Cobra owner Lin Parks owned it the intake and carbs were changed out for a more street friendly sidewinder and single four carb. Unused 16 inch wheel and tire set with knock offs and 15 inch Halibrand wheel set that came with it when it came new. Interesting side note is that the Big input 4 speed toploader has confirmed 67 GT500 VIN. I am the forth owner and have owned it since 1995.  The car has less then 8000 miles and in .95,000 US OBO Bob Gaines, SAAC concours judge ,SAAC rep 20 years.

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 23:10:03 »
The quest is over [:D] !

I didn't give any news about it, as I wanted to be sure the process would go to its end, but now the car has reached the old continent and passed the customs today, so I assume nothing can prevent me to consider I 'm the proud owner of .... AK1113 [8D] !

The previous owner was Jim Bottini, who was very helpul and patient, first to make the deal, then to organize the shipping to France... Our relationship was very honest and confident, which is not that obvious when an ocean, a language and even some cultural aspects are between each other ! Thanks to him for that....

I was rather looking for a very early car (1982), but as expected, the candidate was not easy to find , especially in the good shape and at the right price ! And AK1113 is totally unmolested, with no other modification from stock than 2 rear silencers missing...

I still have to pick it up at the port next week, but I'm totally confident in what I will encounter... And excitation is at its peak ! The only downside is that it seems that some parts put in the trunk are missing (hood, spare parts, spare wheel), but things don't seem to be totally over, and I 'll find out what happened once there...

Anyway, one more MKIV has crossed the pond ! In the ACOC registry, 2 cars seem to have been sold (new?) in France, but I' ve never heard so far of another one recently....

PS: thanks again to Bruce (C9OBY) and Peter (dkp_cobra) for their useful help during the search... And to Jim for its cherished Red Head [;)] !

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:54:59 »
Hi Olivier, that's great news!  I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of your car when you finally have it on your driveway. Enjoy your first drive in it next week!!

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:07:21 »
Hi Olivier,

my best wishes for your new toy.

Best regards,

Peter

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:12:11 »
Olivier, you should get much enjoyment; as I did; in the pure driving pleasure. Jim

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 21:54:17 »
Having driven AK 1113, I am sure you will get many kilometers of driving pleasure!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 21:23:44 »
She's now in its new home [8D] !

AK1113 is gorgeous, and is a pleasure to drive... Even if weather was cold [:)] !

Two questions :
   - what is the recommended tire pressure ?
   - fan seems to be permanently on (even at low temp)... Where is located  the temp sender, and otherwise, is the fan controlled by anything else than that sender and a relay ?

Thanks!

Ps: supposed lost parts were in the trunk ... Ouf (french word for whew) !

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 18:34:10 »
Looks like a smile in your face........enjoy !!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 20:08:13 »
Yep... I grinned the whole day long !

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:00 »
I found the recommended tire pressure : 28 psi (1,93 bar)... Quite low !
   Rgarding the fan switch, it is located on the inner left side of the rad, but still can't figure out why it is always on ... If the thermoswitch has failed, the fan shouldn't start, should it ?

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:19 »
Perhaps the fan relay has failed in the "on" position?