Author Topic: Paint type and Manufucturer  (Read 6461 times)

ak1234

• View Profile
Paint type and Manufucturer
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:19:45 »
Can anyone tell me exactly what type of paint was used on my 88 AC .. I know its soft and scratches easy ... seems like lacquer ? And the paint code for British Racing Green .. I already went to a paint supplier and the code on the care dosent come up ... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:53:14 »
Hi Ron,
   I suggest you try contacting Steve Gray at Brooklands Motor Co as he has at least one of the painters from the AC / Autocraft days working for him, he may even have painted your car.
   Cheers - John.

http://www.brooklandsmotorcompany.co.uk/entryframeset.htm
   or
   http://www.acheritage.co.uk/contactus.html

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:09:39 »
Ron, It is a nitro celuous lacquer finish...contact MKIV as well...as many were bespoke...different mfgrs were used. paint code is color on "dymo tape under hood", no one will mix nitro cellous lacquer

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:13:20 »
John I will contact them to double check ...thanks

Jim ... I kind figured it was lacquer because the paint is so soft .. are you sure we cant get lacquer in the US anymore.

I have the paint code but it dosent come up ..I guess in the new paints.

Ron

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:29:12 »
Several AC colours including Vineyard Green (AC's version of British Racing Green) are listed in current paint catalogues.  There was no problem ordering Vineyard Green when I had my PVT painted in 2006 - 7.

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 22:55:07 »
...thanks ...but that may be where the problem is ... the under the hood it clearly reads Jaguar British Racing Green 602.  What do I make of this ?  There is no Jag 602 ??

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:16 »
Ron, you can have lacquer mixed here, but not nitro celleous lacquer. If you are doing a complete repaint you have two choices...contact Brooklands; they have some of the original craftsmen and records; or pick a green you like or closest to what is on car based on a spectrograpgic analysis. A hecker spees (sp , paint system) equipped shop can do this analysis for you. Jim

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 14:58:01 »
Nitro Cellulose is primarily used to paint guitars.

Go to: emperolcolours.tradeindia.com/.../Automotive-Paint.html -
   and ditzlerautopaint.com/history.html for auto paint.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 16:37:30 »
Don't know *&^% about guitars...I was advised of this by MKIV...so if I'm wrong..hes wrong. If you have the correct answer, please advise us all.

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:40 »
Steve and Jim thanks.... I think Jim is correct I can get Lacquer mixed in the usa .. jag br rac green Glasuirit 2k 602 .. i;m in hot pursuit .. all for a small area the size of my hand.

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:42 »
Ron, if you can't match the code...go to a shop with high end equipment. If you havea 1"square chip of paint, they can match ; even to the fade, through spectoanalysis. Ron...are you doing Columbus Circle this wekend? Jim

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 19:28:43 »
You may want to try http://www.williamwolf.com/

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 01:37:30 »
What do you know , they sell notro celluose lacquer...must be for guitars eh?

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:15:06 »
... ok I picked up Dupont Chromobase and the color matched perfect .. I painted it tonight.  Dont think its lacquer but lets see in afew days how it wet sands and buffs out.  .

Thanks for everyones advise ... oh by the way the 3 paint suppliers all said NO LACQUER ... not made anymore.

Thanks Again

Ron

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 14:44:24 »
Lacquer can be found but it is getting harder to come by and certainly not in California as the VOC regulations have made it a "No Go"

The nitrocelluose lacquer used by Autokraft is a forgiving medium as you can wet sand runs and "boogers" out of the finish but it is very soft, chips easily and shrinks over time exposing any sanding scratches underneath. Modern urethane is much superor for long run and can also be sanded and polished. However urethane metallics require clear coating whereas lacquers don't. After the move to Vickers Drive AC/Autokraft switched to modern paint systems.